Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Upcoming PS pump & reservoir change

Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Default Upcoming PS pump & reservoir change

Good afternoon everyone! First post on here.

I spent 1/2 an hour reviewing this forum and other sites for information regarding the pump change. The reservoir looks pretty straight forward. I haven't dived into the vehicle yet to look at the pump yet, but I figure it should be similar to most other vehicle accessories.

Symptoms: hard steering, occasionally making noise. Today, pump was making noise/groans more than usual. The groan can be felt all the way into the steering wheel. My wife mentioned today that the battery warning light came on at a stop light, but did not come back on. With the alternator being less than 2 years old, I'm going to guess that the p/s pump is bogging down the serpentine belt. I know the battery has some "wet" spots on top of the battery...so it's time to change that out too. The vehicle is still driveable despite the steering being a little tougher (like a pump not working at full power).

My plan of attack is to replace the reservoir and pump. If it solves it great, if not...then I'll save up and take it to a shop to have the steering rack replaced.

Unfortunately, the base I am located at closed down the auto hobby shop (access to full shop with lifts, power tools, etc). If the auto hobby shop was still open, I'd knock out the rack change myself. The powers that be seems to think a golf course used by them is more important than an auto hobby shop used by the enlisted on a regular basis.

My T&C has about 63,000 miles on it. We got it used about two years ago with 55,000 miles on it, in near perfect condition. Within the first six months, I had to replace the radiator and the alternator. The alternator was a FUN job!

As soon as my wife gets home, I'll review the Chilton's Manual (conviently located in the vehicle).

A little about me:

I've got about 15-20 years experience working on various vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc), and 12 years experience working on fighter aircraft. I've learned a lot over the years and consider myself fairly knowledgeable. Although, I'm always learning something new... another way to do something or a new vehicle that does it just a little different.

Since this is my first post, I'd thought I'd let you know that I do have some knowledge to throw into the pool. At the same time, I'm always open to suggestions. If you all have any input regarding the p/s pump (i.e.: unusual methods for removal), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

B4 u go to all that trouble try this first Over fill the fluid ATF+4 above the line What tens to happen is the fluid will cavitat and draw air into the system that's the vibration U feel at times.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Change the fluid first, use ATF + 4 May cure your problem without a lot of work

Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Yes, that thought crossed my mind...the pump was cavitating (had that happen on some A-10's that had hydro fluid loss). My first thought was that the pump was working overtime to get some fluid through a clogged reservoir filter. Being that it's relatively inexpensive, I'll probably change out the reservoir too. The fluid level is right about perfect (3/4 way full between the operating range). So there shouldn't be a leak. Although, the fluid is dark red, closer to black. I saw that and knew the fluid needs changing.

I looked at the pump and that doesn't look like it'll be any fun to change that out - especially in sub-freezing weather. Gonna stick wtih a new battery and a new reservior with a ps fluid flush.

Tested the battery. Alternator putting out 14.xx volts. Cold battery putting out 11.75...It's still running, but it's a little lower than I would like (12.1-12.4 is what I like). Being that it's my wife vehicle, and the battery has shown signs of minor leakage since July I know it's time to change it. Leave it to a mechanic to not work on his own vehicle!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

The fluid level is right about perfect (3/4 way full between the operating range)

over fill it past the full mark

Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Are the indicator marks on the reservoir improperly marked/molded?

I changed the reservoir ($20), and flushed out the old fluid with new ATF +4 today. It sounds quieter, but it doesn't seem to steer as well as I had remembered. Maybe I'm being pampered with my Suburban.

I still have a small noise from within the steering column. I can't tell if it's just behind the steering wheel or near the floorboard. It sounds like a rubber on plastic rubbing sound when I turn the wheel. Do these steering columns use rubber "rag joints"?