Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Upgrade to rear entertainment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Default Upgrade to rear entertainment?

If anyone has read my "check in" message, You will know what I am looking to do. IF NOT, then here's the "gist" of the thread....
I have 2 '04's one has overhead DVD console and screen with separate player mounted under the Left middle seat. I just bought another '04 that has the CD/NAV radio(says plays DVD's) and the 6 disc CD changer(says it plays DVD's).
Looking for guidance to swap the rear console and hook up to one of the two audio units and have it work.
I am a "retired" auto tech, so disassembly is NOT an "experience issue", just want to find info how it can be done BEFORE pulling things apart.
TIA! and one last thing...VW had the MINIVAN long before MOPAR! And I have owned a few of those also!

Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
and one last thing...VW had the MINIVAN long before MOPAR! And I have owned a few of those also!
How many passengers did the early VW Minivans carry?

The original Fiat Multipla was in production between 1956–1965. It could carry 6 to 8 people.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Greetings! Nice to have someone respond, I thought my comment would draw SOME response..LOL VW still beat Fiat to the "punch" and depending on how configured for seat options 5-8 people could be seated. And in those early years "seats and belts were not a requirement to passenger number..LOL

Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 PM

OKAY, Had some down time to read about the Nav/audio from the book on my "loaded" T&C, The ONLY DVD it will play is the NAV dvd(which it has). It will play single CD's if I eject the NAV DVD. So I guess that I am looking at hooking up rear roof screen to the optional 6 CD changer(which also says DVD player). I have not had much time to "read up" about that yet in the owners book. BUT I see 3 RCA ports on the face plate of the changer, I would like to hook up from rear of the unit though. IS this possible?(I have not had the 6 CD changer option before.) Wife and son say don't mess around with it, But I want to make the upgrade if I can get away without the separate DVD player unit my soon to be "work van" uses.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 AM

Any takers????? Bump, bump ???

Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
OKAY, The ONLY DVD it will play is the NAV dvd(which it has). It will play single CD's if I eject the NAV DVD.
That's because it's a CD player, not a DVD player. The SatNav discs are CD, not DVD.

So I guess that I am looking at hooking up rear roof screen to the optional 6 CD changer
Is this the original fitment screen or an aftermarket. If it's the original then it's not worth spending time or money on.

These are the pin-outs at the back of the DVD mulit-changer unit.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade to rear entertainment?-dvd-connections.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 03:07 PM

Thank You for the reply with the pinout chart! Yes this is O.E. equipment, and probably from the push MOPAR made at the time(04) to boost lagging sales, to have the rear entertainment STANDARD here in the USA. The "gist" is I have the pieces and they work, it is just that I don't want to use the separately mounted player unit if the changer(says plays DVD's) can do that function. TIME to play with it ..I HAVE..NO $$ involved other than finding a connector if needed.
In my eyes...an easy swap IF the 6CD changer would work as the player unit.

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 AM

The 6 disc autochanger will definitely play DVD's just as long as the 6 LED's on the front are not all flashing sequentially. If they are flashing then it usually means the autochanger is buggered.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 AM

Thanks for that tip! But with the full compliment of CD's that I am currently using in my travels around ..It is working fine. Once we get my son moved into his college dorm this weekend and get thru our USA "Labour Day" weekend, I may just start the process of disassembly to do the "upgrade"! I never liked that the Entertainment DVD player was mounted to the floor under the left middle seat! The only other change I will have to do is to swap rear HVAC control panel that is mounted in the overhead console. The "loaded" van has ATC and the "donor van has the more common manual controls. No biggie as they should be of same dimension and mounting.
Thanks again for the help!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:17 PM

Just a "BUMP" update to show I am still around, I have NOT had time to play with my wanting to do upgrade yet. Been too busy keeping our other cars running correctly and took on a friends 03 Caravan he just bought and needed some "quirks" ironed out of it!