Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading CMTC to EVIC Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Default Upgrading CMTC to EVIC Info

Hello all, I have a 2005 T&C Touring with the overhead CMTC(Compass Mini Trip Computer) I found a EVIC(Electronic Vehicle Information Center) Console and was curious as to what else I may need to aquire, setting I may need to enable to allow it to function correctly?
I do have the RKES, I read in the service manuals that the EVIC and the CMTC both recieve info from the BCM through the PCI Data Bus Circuit.
I can't think of any Function the EVIC has that currently isnt displayed or at least sent by the sensors equiped on the item info is to be displayed for i.e. TPMS I have the sensors only it is displayed in MIC but not in the CMTC. I looked and since I do not have Memory/heated seats that feature will not be available neither will the wiper/lights feature as I don't have auto headlights (Yet). I think All I will need to do is Retrain the TPMS, Recalibrate the Compass, Now I may have to have the EVIC Feature enabled though and I figured Djinn-N-Tonic would know that answer for sure.
If I am incorrect about any of this please let me know as I would hate to spend the time removing CMTC console and installing the EVIC in the CMTC's place to find out afterward it won't function because it is not possible to do this or I need more Items I do not have.
Thanks for all teh help so far.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 PM

The problem I see with this....

The info required by an EVIC , may not be available on the buss. TPMS is the perfect example.....

Your Tire monitor system is controlled by the same unit that we talked about the other day.....Your Sentry Key Module....He is responsible for reading + interpreting ALL "WIRELESS" communications to and from the vehicle.

Now.....He isnt programmable in a conventional sense, and he is ONLY available NEW...Junkyards are out of the question, because once a VIN is etched in his brain...Thats it...He will ONLY WORK in THAT Vehicle.

Your vehicle was built to trigger a Light when TPM failure occurs...Either a solid amber lamp for low pressure, or flashing for system failure.... EVIC uses Different logic to accomplish the same thing....But...Is all the Info available to him......????

Just an Opinion....But really not worth the hassle....

There are only a few things between the two that are different.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 AM

Ok I can let the TPMS slide as a matter of fact I have went 25 years without a TPMS with no problems so I coudl actually do without it completely and if the G-Friend doesn't start caring a little more about how close she pulls up to curbs I am going to pull the fancy aluminum rims and install some nasty looking steel ones for her to play bump grind with all day long if she wants.
What I was really hoping to gain was the Instant mpg Mode (as my CTMC does not have the one only the AVG one) the ability to set the headlight off delay time along with the other programable features, Blink light with lock etc.etc.
I am starting to feel I made a huge mistake becomming interested in this vehicle and hoping I could add features I thought would be nice to have and just started looking for the Dodge 4X4 especially since this van is to nice to haul all the stuff we did in the 92 Caravan, I actually hate most vans and would never even looked at this one if it was what I was driving every day, But something about the T&C with the cool headlights and look of the front, the very dark privacy glass along with the cool spoiler on back it almost feels like a sports Van lol.
So bottom line it would probably be a waste of my time and effort to even install the EVIC being shipped to me?
I can always try to resell it online, I knew I should of bought the Seymour Duncan Blackouts for my Guitar instead of blowing the cash on van parts.
I did get a good deal on a additional unprogrammed Key with 6 button remote so all is not totallly wasted, I am just wondering where I shoudl get it cut, I can program it since I have 2 keys already.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 PM

What I was really hoping to gain was the Instant mpg Mode (as my CTMC does not have the one only the AVG one) the ability to set the headlight off delay time along with the other programable features, Blink light with lock etc.etc.
Evic doesnt get you the programmable features...Thats in BCM..which is way too involved to even consider.

Seymour Duncan..????

As for the keys.....Any Locksmith can Cut them, The programming is what Jamms the deal...

A word of Caution.......Read your owners manual 5 times, then take it out to the car with you... You will DESTROY a brand new key , if it isnt programmed step by step, and word for word , BY the book....

Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 AM

Seymour Duncan Is the Guitar Pickups I use as I have a couple and also do custom mods on them as a hobby/side job. I could of bough one of them for the same price I paid for the EVIC unit.
I was hoping this upgrade was basically like installing fog lights where once I had it all installed and connected(according to the service manual the CMTC and EVIC use the same exact wiring just the EVIC has its own processor) I would just have to go to the dealer and have that option programmed. I can basically set every single programmable feature except headlight delay using the key and following theprocedures listed in manual I was hoping to make it easier if I had the EVIC unit.
I think I have read the key programming section 10 times in teh owners manual and 4 in the service manual but as with anything I do I will have the steps with me to follow along step by step when I go to actually do it.
Thanks for the replys

Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Seymour Duncan Is the Guitar Pickups I use as I have a couple and also do custom mods on them as a hobby/side job. I could of bough one of them for the same price I paid for the EVIC unit.
Center Tapped DIMARZIOS...

according to the service manual the CMTC and EVIC use the same exact wiring just the EVIC has its own processor)
So does the compass module.......Your concern is whether or not the BCM will put that info on the Buss . If not, the bcm would require replacement, To The "Optioned " version, and since the sentry key and Vin Info are etched ito the unit...It has to be a NEW one.

That is where I draw the line on Upgrades.....The BCM is way too expensive a proposition , just for the convienience of a few toys.

On the other hand...Try it...If it works out to your liking...Then You've Scored.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Ok will tyr that, If I read correct if the EVIC or CMTC for that matter has a mode and it does not recieve correct or any info from the DCN through the PCI interface the mode will display --? So I will not cause the system any damage If I find it does not work like i had hoped I can just remove the EVIC and reinstall the CMTC and all will be back to normal again?
Thats my biggest concern seeing how the more I read the more I find everything is connected and communicates with each other pretty much last thing I need to do is create a issue where I have to replace the BCM, I read that section and it soundl like a huge HUGE issue to replace it(actually replacing sound basic it is the programming to vehicle, Keys, etc) that sound like a huge undertaking with alot of chances to ruin the unit.
On the PU Topic the Dimarzio's used in the EGEN18 are the ones I would really like, they are normally unavailable to the public except in the EGEN but I got a Dimarzio Service agent that must of liked my Guitars I built as he gave me the #'s to order the PU's but for the 2 Humbuckers and middle single it would cost about $312
When you mention center tapped do you mean coil tapped to enable single coil use? all my Pu's have that ability, It allows for a greater range of options is sound as long as you use a 5 way selector.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 PM

I will see if my permissions are fixed yet and I will add 2 pics one of my custom 6 string and one of my 7 string I just got finished(other then PU upgrade.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Well I am very Happy to Report that Replacing my CMTC unit with the EVIC Unit worked flawelessly, I Would assume since I had all the features I was wanting the easier programability with it was a case or plug and play. I could not of been happier when I powered the unit up and all features were there and in working condition, Not to mention I like the display of the EVIC alot better also.