Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent! How to empty the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Default Urgent! How to empty the fuel tank?

Hi

I need to empty the fuel tank on my 2008 2.8CRD Limited. I am planning on doing so by using the fuel pump located in the tank.

It's a diesel engine and the tank is full of gas. Engine not started after filling the wrong fuel.

Any suggestions on the best/easiest spot to break the fuel line to tap the fuel?

I have not yet dug into the engine in this car at all, so I haven't got any expierence in the whereabouts of just about anything in the engine bay, apart from the regular service stuff.

Thanx

Thomas

Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Ok, I'll answer it myself then ;-)

Make sure the ignition is off, and keep it off.

Emptying the tank will be done by using the fuel pump that pumps the fuel from the tank to the high pressure pump.

Locate the fuel lines located on top of the engine on the left side looking into the engine bay. There are two fuel lines one pressure line and one return. The return one is the one in connection with the fuel rail on top of the engine, do not bother about this one.
Detach the quick connector on the other one, the pressure line.
Attach a hose to the fuel line and make sure it is sealed, preferably using self vulcanising rubber tape. Put the other end of the hose into whatever you are using to take care of the fuel, preferably a spare tank.

Locate the fuse for the fuel pump, in my car it's the M25. Remove it and shorten the node that connects with the pump to +12V, if it's not one, it's the other ;-). The pump will start and keep it running until the tank is empty. There's a risk you'll drain the battery, you can use an external 12v source to run the pump, or be ready with a charger to keep the battery charged

When empty. Fill the tank up with the correct fuel, and run another 10l or so through to clear the lines. You can smell the output to make sure the right fuel is coming through.

When done, remove the equipment used and reinstall the fuse and the fuel line. make sure the fuel line is properly connected and does not come apart when pulled. Please note that the owners manual states you must replace the quick connectors once they have been removed.

Now turn the ignition on, wait for 10 seconds, turn it off. Repeat 5 times. This is done to flush and fill the fuel lines with fuel after having been opened.
Now turn on the engine. Mine started on the first try like nothing ever happened. :-)

WARNING: Gas is highly flammable, and one spark is enough to make it burst into flames, so be extremely cautious in these operations not to get any fuel spill or fuel gases and not to get sparks with the electricity. If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do this!

I guess this might be more of interest to Chrysler owners in Europe rather than in the states (is the diesel version even available in the states?), but some of us drop in here to find info too :-)

Good Luck, ThomasX

Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 AM

Glad you figured it out.

No, there is no diesel option available here in North America, but I for one would like one. There used to be a diesel for the Grand Cherokee, but now that Mercedes is out of the picture, that option is gone.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 AM

I think a torkey diesel stick van would be cool!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Glad it worked out. Sounds like a good technique.

One point I'd make is that if the tank is full of the wrong fuel (14 imp gallons) I'd try to get as much of it out as possible with a siphon direct from the fuel tank. Then use your technique for the last gallon or two.

Also to be on the safe side, I'd scrap the fuel filter and put a new one in.