Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VES - DVD wont play, "Region Code Not Set"

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Default VES - DVD wont play, "Region Code Not Set"

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country with a dual VES DVD system. It has played movies flawlessly until today. It cannot read a DVD we have played hundreds of times. The screen reads "Region Code Not Set", and the disc light is flashing on the player in the dash, even when the DVD power is off. Any ideas?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 AM

I have the exact same problem. Took it to the dealer and $69 later I was told to drive it around and if the satellite would sync up I'd be okay ... otherwise $320 to replace the unit. Well I was really dissappointed as it did not sync after the tech reset the region code. Will the 69 be applied toward the replacement (naive me for asking) ... nope

Did you ever get your situation resolved?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Default Anyone figure this out?

Im getting the same error now. Dont understand what has caused it.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Default dvd region code

i ended up googling around and found a radio outfit in new york that fixed it for me

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware fault so I didn't even think twice about opening it up

I have a thread on the forum with tons of details but drawing a blank on where it is at the moment

Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Default found it

it's under one of my threads

TN tech ... there was a question right in my initial groundhog day reply so not sure how you missed that ... ??

not sure what your gripe was but tried to get a response to 'what did you end up doing?' or a suggestion from the forum

well here's the rest of the story

dealer came back with $849 estimate to replace the lower dvd unit after the region code reset FAILED

so i did a little research and found an outfit that repairs these dvds

United Radio - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

and Kevin has been very helpful

kmarais@unitedradio.com

to remove the dvd:

look carefully under the dash trim just above the navigation control monitor ... there are two plastic covers you need to pry off... it's like a compression fit that you need to gently pry off and down

remove the 2 philips screws under the covers and gently pry the dash cowling up and out of the way

the trim piece can now be pryed out at the top as there are some slots along the side that provide resistance

however ... the bottom section has two screws that can be revealed by removing the 3 screws on each side of the bottom cowling that covers the lower dash panel (where your feet rest)

pull the lower dash panel out and you'll see the two screws that need to be removed ... now the center dash panel can be slowly pulled out as the wiring harness gives you some room to pull it aside

now you can unscrew the 2 screws actually holding the dvd in place

you will find the dvd still seems screwed in but it's just a compression fitting at the back of the dvd ... gently pull and and wiggle a little straight back and the dvd should release

carefully pull the dvd out and try to guide the wires connected thru the access panel

on the back of the dvd depress the little black tab and the whole wiring harness will release

not sure if this helps but I'm hoping united radio can fix it ... initial quote was 215

Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Default dvd region code fixed by new york outfit

by the way it's been several months and the dvd is playing just fine

well here's the rest of the story

dealer came back with $849 estimate to replace the lower dvd unit after the region code reset FAILED

so i did a little research and found an outfit that repairs these dvds

United Radio - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

and Kevin has been very helpful

kmarais@unitedradio.com

to remove the dvd:

look carefully under the dash trim just above the navigation control monitor ... there are two plastic covers you need to pry off... it's like a compression fit that you need to gently pry off and down

remove the 2 philips screws under the covers and gently pry the dash cowling up and out of the way

the trim piece can now be pryed out at the top as there are some slots along the side that provide resistance

however ... the bottom section has two screws that can be revealed by removing the 3 screws on each side of the bottom cowling that covers the lower dash panel (where your feet rest)

pull the lower dash panel out and you'll see the two screws that need to be removed ... now the center dash panel can be slowly pulled out as the wiring harness gives you some room to pull it aside

now you can unscrew the 2 screws actually holding the dvd in place

you will find the dvd still seems screwed in but it's just a compression fitting at the back of the dvd ... gently pull and and wiggle a little straight back and the dvd should release

carefully pull the dvd out and try to guide the wires connected thru the access panel

on the back of the dvd depress the little black tab and the whole wiring harness will release

not sure if this helps but I'm hoping united radio can fix it ... initial quote was 215

united radio fixed it ... I reinstalled and all is running fine so far

Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Very glad you found a solution. thank you for a solution! Hope it is still working for you!

Originally Posted by 2008 touring town n country
i ended up googling around and found a radio outfit in new york that fixed it for me

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware fault so I didn't even think twice about opening it up

I have a thread on the forum with tons of details but drawing a blank on where it is at the moment

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM

oh boy ... got in the van last friday and my son said ... "dad ... what is region code not found mean?" ... my wife and I looked at each other and just groaned ... first thing my wife says ... is it still under warranty ?? yes it is but first I wanted to run some diagnostics as i wasn't lookin forward to tearing the lower unit back out again!!

So heres what I did as best I remember:

okay ... to reset region not found

shut down vehicle

remove all dvd's and turn key to accessories

open top dvd player by clock and insert known working dvd

click on ves mode and touch view video

get the video running on the front screen ... i think power to the lower unit should be off as I recall

then eject running dvd from the top player

turn off power to the car

turn power back on and insert same dvd into the bottom player

say a prayer and hope that resets the region not found error as it is now playing again as normal

I know this seems like a spongebob spin 3 times and touch a button but it worked ... and so far 4 days later the dvd lower unit still works ???