Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voyager cranks but wont catch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Default voyager cranks but wont catch

Hey guys and gals,
I have a 2002 voyager (uk) 2.5crd which has the vm motor. I have just had to replace a metal water pipe which is about 1 and a half inches diameter, runs down to the back of the block on the right and is just above the gearbox then turns at right angles along the back,with three smaller outlet/inlet tubes.Basically i had to change this pipe so to get access i had to take out the battery and tray, the water bottle support and bottle and take off top and bottom hoses etc.On the back of the pipe i replaced was fixed via a bracket an electronic sensor or connector of some kind (more on this shortly). I finish replacing the pipe then put everything back, top up the water and no leaks (great i thought). I then go to start the car and it turns over but does not want to catch. Everything was fine before i did the work but just replacing the pipe should not stop the car from starting. The sensor/connector i mentioned before is attatched to the pipe and goes to two other sensors below. i just wonder if upon removing the water pipe and reconnecting everything some connector had got knocked but to what relevance these sensor/connectors have to firing up the engine? Does anyone know what these connectors do as the only other connector i took apart and reconnected was the battery tray sensor (not sure what this is for either as it doesn't seem to do anything). Any help appreciated.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Hi again, I thought about what could have been disturbed or damaged when i changed the water pipe and it seems to point to the sensor/ connectors that i mentioned before. Have disconnected 3 connectors and a sensor and the connector that is immediately fixed by a bracket to the water pipe has 3 wires and one of which looks a bit frayed with 2 0r 3 individual wires coming away from the connector, so am trying to locate replacement to try. Would still like to know what these things do tho'. .

Last edited by harleybear; 03-05-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:21 AM

My gut feeling is that you have some problems with immobiliser caused by disconnected battery. Try to reset.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the response, my immobiliser has given and still does give me problems from time to time but i have always been able to get the car started at some point. It mainly causes problems in cold and wet weather. Sometimes on ignition it will stay lit so my solution has been to remove the key and give the ignition barrel a couple of firm hits then replace key and it will go out and car will start. Also sometimes but very rare it will come on whilst driving but does not cut out engine. So what is the procedure for resetting? It hasn't really caused me a problem when i take the battery out, however i just had the cambelt changed and i have just done the water leak i described. I guess leaving the battery out the car will do much the same thing?

Last edited by harleybear; 03-05-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:51 AM

Update.......Left the battery off car for 15 hrs plus, reconnected everything tried cranking and nothing however this time we have a puff of smoke! A quick prayer and another go and we have a go!