Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager doesn't start---PLEASE HELP, SAVE MY CAR & MARRIAGE !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Default Voyager doesn't start---PLEASE HELP, SAVE MY CAR & MARRIAGE !!!!!!!!!

I have a Voyager 2001 that wont start. I have changed the battery, got the battery checked, it's charging fine, I've had the alternator cheked, which is fine. I havr checked the battery terminals for wear and tear, they're fine.

I STILL CANT START THE DARN THING, IT'S AS THOUGH IT'S HAPPENED OVER NIGHT.

I go to start the engine, i hear a fast clicking noise, thats all, the engine wont turn. The dash lights up i hear fuel pump kick in, all of that jazz, but no starting of the engine.

GET THIS? I CAN ONLY START THE ENGINE IF IT'S JUMPED WITH CABLES USING ANOTHER CAR? But as soon as i turn the engine off, regardless of how long i have driven, the engine just wont start unless it is jumped..........I'm gettin an earfull from the Mrs cos we're supposed to be going on holiday in the car and taking the kids.........aint going nowhere with the car in this state. Please someone help, or give us some pointers, I am a real novice !!!

Is it the Starter? if so how do I know? where is it in the engine...........thanks guys........[:@]

Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Default RE: Voyager doesn't start---PLEASE HELP, SAVE MY CAR & MARRIAGE !!!!!!!!!

You might have corrosion on the ends of the cables at the starter. The starter is under the engine at the transmission end. You cleaned up the cables at the battery, try at the other end. Failing that, it might need a new starter, but try the cheaperapproach first.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Voyager doesn't start---PLEASE HELP, SAVE MY CAR & MARRIAGE !!!!!!!!!

When you replaced the battery, did you replace it with a battery with a cold cranking amp (CCA) of the same or higher value? Was the battery from another car or new? You said there was no wear and tear on the terminals, does that include not having chalky/powder anywhere on them or the cables? Try flexing the battery cables to see if they are unusually stiff and to breakup any corrosion inside that you cant see. That may give you a momentary fix if it is the cables.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 AM

if you hear a clicking sound when trying to crank, you are not getting sufficiant power on the starter.

it can be becouse of bad starter relay or weak battery/dirty terminals.

also, somewhere on the engine MUST be a cable which provides connection to the nagative terminal of the battery. it grounds the engine.
if that cable is loose, cracked or corroded, it will cause problems like you described.

start at the negative battery, follow the cable to the car chassis and then to the negine. all connections must be OK or no cranking.

fuse and relay plate under the hood covers starter relay. there is a good chance that one of the other relays is of the same type as the one for starter. try replacing them and see what happenes. mind the numbers on the relay.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 AM

Thanks Guys !!!!, I've done the following:-

i) Checked the battery terminals for stiffness, flexed tham they seem to be ok

ii)Checked the ground and earth on the battery terminals, that seems to be ok also.

iii) I'm gonna try replacing the starter relay see what happens, otherwise i'm stumped ?

The only other thing is could it be the battery? The attery was changed, but i think it may have come out of another car? I did fully re-charge the battery befor e attempting this, but the engine still makes the clicking sound and wont turn over. Could the battery still be an issue?

Appreciate your help chaps with my car and my marriage !!![&:]

Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 AM

Thanks Guys !!!!, I've done the following:-

i) Checked the battery terminals for stiffness, flexed tham they seem to be ok

ii)Checked the ground and earth on the battery terminals, that seems to be ok also.

iii) I'm gonna try replacing the starter relay see what happens, otherwise i'm stumped ?

The only other thing is could it be the battery? The attery was changed, but i think it may have come out of another car? I did fully re-charge the battery befor e attempting this, but the engine still makes the clicking sound and wont turn over. Could the battery still be an issue?

Appreciate your help chaps with my car and my marriage !!![&:]

Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 AM

of course it could be the battery.

you are not getting enough volts and ampers on the starter. that's for sure.
as you said that you changed the battery, I thought it was a new one.

if you want to be sure, take your battery out of the car and put the new one (somebody elses) in. yo will se that your problems will end.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM

ok, i'll be changing the battery, in fact i'll get a new one. we'll take it from there, i tried changing the relays that was of no use.

The battery isn't holding charge, cos the clicking noise has stopped now also. ?????

Whhat ya reckon guys ?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 AM

that battery is dead.
it was dead the minute you placed it in your car.

if that's the original battery that came with the car, it was due to change anyway.
but if it's not older then one or two years, before putting a new battery in, you have to see an electrician who will check charging and regulator. if it's not working correctly, it will fry the new battery as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

U can have 12.4 volts and 200 of 600 amps and it wont move a starter motor. Plus the charger u more thne likely have is a small 1/2 to 1 amp one that will take roughly 3 days o charge it up amp wize. The ones the pros use can put out 55 amps and have it done in a matter of hours.

Quick Reply: Voyager doesn't start---PLEASE HELP, SAVE MY CAR & MARRIAGE !!!!!!!!!