Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Voyager PAS leak. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/voyager-pas-leak-9501/)

gareth111278 10-11-2009 01:43 PM

Voyager PAS leak.

Hi. i've just discovered I have a PAS leak from some-where behind the gearbox [transaxle]. I've not had chance to get it over a pit for a propper look yet.

Is there a likely source other than the steering rack its-self? Mine is RIGHT hand drive [UK]

I've just looked at the repair manual & the rack looks like a massive job to change, its it as bad as it looks?

Any help would very welcome

Gareth

Merlin 10-11-2009 02:30 PM

Hi
no most likely it will be the rack. Need to drop the subframe to change but not a bad job. Just when it's done watch the brake pipes. these can get bent and then contact the drive shafts and rub. Don't need to tell you how bad that can be and it is a know UK issue so be careful.

gareth111278 10-11-2009 03:24 PM

Hi Merlin.
Its Nice to know someone from the UK on this forum, i try to use American names for things but I'm never sure if I'm being clear.
Thanks for your advice, I've got a PDF workshop manual & I've been looking at the job. I've got access to a wide pit etc so I should be able to do it OK. The one part that concerns me is the 'intermedate coupler' the manual shows a special tool bing used to remove a roll pin, have you experience of this?
I've seen Re-con racks on E-bay for £115 exchange & i'll put new track rod ends on at £16 each. Do those prices sound reasonable to you?

I might even be able to get up to the rear spark plugs whilst its stripped out too!!

Cheers Gareth

Merlin 10-11-2009 03:37 PM

Hi
Yes the roll pin would be hard to get out without the tool as you have nothing to hold it and tap it out with a punch.
Yes the prices sound ok.

gareth111278 10-12-2009 02:43 AM

Thanks again Merlin.
I'll have to see if I can improvise a 'pusher' or get at it with a punch whilst the coupler is still connected to the steering shaft.
I'll get it in tomorrow & just check it is the rack but I recon its filling the O/S boot with fluid then blowing it out on left hand lock.
I'll keep you posted.

Gareth

gareth111278 10-14-2009 01:37 PM

GOOD NEWS!!

Its NOT the rack that's leaking, its the pressure feed from the pump to the rack.

I'm a lucky boy!!

baldboab 10-14-2009 03:11 PM

an easy fix then?

gareth111278 10-15-2009 01:24 AM

Wel......
easier than the rack, but the pipe isn't the easiest thing to get at!

AND I've got to get a pipe from Chrysler. They got me gearbox cooler pipes Ok so I'm hopefull!

Merlin 10-15-2009 01:17 PM

Post your vin (last 9) and I will check for you and even e mail a picture is you wish so you can pick them out.

gareth111278 10-16-2009 01:20 AM

Thanks Merlin. I haven't got the VIN here now but I'll bring it home from work and post it here later.
I phoned MBT Chrysler in Chester he also needs the VIN but he said that he'd had a PAS pipe on order for a 2.0L for 7 months!! eek!

I'm thinking of getting our local hydralic hose maker to do me a flexable one but the access to the fitting on the rack is very tight & it'd need some careful routing & protecting.

Thanks again I'll post after work.

Gareth