Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voyager transmission (auto) fauilure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Default voyager transmission (auto) fauilure

can anyone help me
i have a 2.4 voyager auto. (2003) the transmission is now out of car and my mechanic is persuing the cause of the gears constantly slipping, i just wanted to know if this transmission was used on other chrysler vehicles so that maybe i could source a used gearbox to save on the cost of a rebuild.
i have been looking on various sites that sell transmissin kits etc and they seem to show that the transmission was used on many cars and engine sizes.
the details of my engine and trans is as follows:
chrysler details eng (edz) trans (dgl) does that help ?
transtec details of trans (41te) (a604)
it is a front wheel drive version

Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM

these transmissions are so incredibly easy to rebuild, high school students can do it.

when you say slipping, I'm unsure of your terminology or explanation. slipping would be defined as rpm flair without movement... such as spinning your tyres on ice that flairs engine speed and not increasing in vehicle speed. These transmissions rarely slip and still move. When they go they don't move. What gear is it 'slipping' 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, reverse? Or is your problem more of a shifting problem?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM

the car was sent to chrysler as engine light came on after transmision problem. after plug in they told me that all fault codes for the gearbox came on but they said the main area was third gear which i am told is no longer, when in drive, you can move in first but it will then just rev without any vehicle movement.
just wanted to know if i can use transmission from say a 3.3l voyager or a 2.0 / 2.4l pt cruiser

Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM

you can use all the internals from the 3.3. as for the whole gearbox (aka transmission), you can use the 2.0 or 2.4 41TE trans from any 2.0 or 2.4 vehicle (neon, minivan, PT cruiser, cirrus/stratus/breeze).

OK so the car was sent to chrysler as the engine light came on. Yes, a shifting problem will turn on the light as the light will illuminate any time an issue arises which will compremise emissions output.

So you are saying the transmission works fine in reverse, 1st 2nd then flairs and no engagement of 3rd? then is should abort any shift attempt, go into 'limp-in' and drop to 2nd where it will stay until the next key cycle. Is this the crux of the problem?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:15 AM

I have a neon that is doing exactly what you just described. 1st and 2nd fine, then a sudden jerk into 3rd, revs up no power and drops back down into 2nd and it stays there. Mine is a 2.0l 16v Neon.

Originally Posted by 22chrysler
you can use all the internals from the 3.3. as for the whole gearbox (aka transmission), you can use the 2.0 or 2.4 41TE trans from any 2.0 or 2.4 vehicle (neon, minivan, PT cruiser, cirrus/stratus/breeze).

OK so the car was sent to chrysler as the engine light came on. Yes, a shifting problem will turn on the light as the light will illuminate any time an issue arises which will compremise emissions output.

So you are saying the transmission works fine in reverse, 1st 2nd then flairs and no engagement of 3rd? then is should abort any shift attempt, go into 'limp-in' and drop to 2nd where it will stay until the next key cycle. Is this the crux of the problem?