Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

What kind of tools do I need

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Default What kind of tools do I need

My brother-in-law just bought a used 1998 Voyager at auction with about 150K miles. I'm going to help him do an initial service on it and was also going to get him some tools to welcome him to car ownership.

What would you recommend as inital service. I was looking at oil and filter change, air filter, brake inspection / service, cv boot inspection, and maybe even transmission filter and fluid changeout. I was also considering the fuel filter change.

I'm also curious as to the tools to get him. Does the Voyager use SAE, metric, or both. I'm sure he'll need combo wrenches, screwdrivers, and maybe socket wrenches.

I've worked on everything from my 61 Impala, thru various Nissans, Toyotas, Volvos and now a couple of Mercedes, so I'm fairly familiar with basic car maintenance, but I have no Chrysler experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM

This is funny. if it was posted on April 1, I'd take it to be an April Fool's day joke.

I work on Chryslers mostly. But the other day I had to work on a 1959 chevy. OMG I had no clue how to even open the hood. I was looking all over under the dash for the release lever. I searched the internet and couldn't find where the release cable was located. I was just about ready to use a prybar to rip the hood open, but I couldn't find my prybar.

Since you've worked on a 1961 Impala and various nissan, volvo's etc., HTF did you manage to figure out how to do any repairs on those vehicles? What would make a minivan any more unique to do basic maintenance service over any of those other vehicles?

If you ask any frustrated Chrysler owner, the ONLY special tools you need are:

Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 PM

OK then, to be a bit more specific, will I need SAE, Metric, or a combination. I have them all, but I'm wanting to get my Brother in Law what he will need.

Also, anything specific to late 90s Chrysler product I should really be looking hard at. Some friends have mentioned that the transmissions are particularly problematic

Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 AM

Your brother in law should not need any tools beyond a hammer and a screwdriver. In fact the only tool he'll need is a credit card and a cell phone. Do you really think you or he will be rebuilding these problematic transmissions? The SMARTEST thing for him is Motor Club subscription such as AAA.

But if you really want to set him up with EVERYTHING he'll need... start with a tow truck, a 2 post hoist, transmission jack, air compressor, 1/2" drive quality air wrench, QUALITY scanner, Oscilloscope, DVOM, Factory Service Manuals, All the specialty tools that the dealer is required to have, Large workshop, drain pans, drop light, engine lift, creeper, jackstands, quality floor jack, [IMG]file:///C:/Users/mike/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]a large tool box fully equipped with all needed tools metric, standard, and impacts http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:z...nnon_shop_.JPG

The MOST specific thing about the late 90's chrysler is you will need several parts cars to keep it running. the best advice is to buy something that you are more familiar with servicing like a Volvo, Nissan or old chevy. You can expect to replace the transmission several times along with all the electrical components related to this problematic transmission (never hear about honda or toyota having these issues). Plan on having it not start because of the stupid instrument cluster crapping out. Might as well stock up on sway bar links, wheel bearings, power steering parts, and strut tower repair kits. Throw in all the other electrical gremlins and you got yourself the makings of a lifetime of repairs to get to work each day.
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/mike/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/mike/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/mike/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Metric.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 AM

dcotter0579, Thanks for the clean info

22chrysler, I'd have never bought that van, but I have to try and help as much as I can. Your rant did point out some trouble spots I didn't know of. All cars have their weak spots, from the undersized brake rotors on Volvo 960s to the need to buy the whole fuel pump package to replace the fuel filter on a Scion xB