Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

whistling sound - 2.5 CRD

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Default RE: whistling sound - 2.5 CRD

ORIGINAL: actd
I have wondered about the turbo - do turbos come in at a particular engine speed? If so, presumably if I carefully increase the engine speed up to this point, I should hear nothing and then the whistle will increase in pitch at a fixed engine speed - is this correct?

The oil was changed recently (about 4,000 miles ago) - the car does have a full service history by the look of the service book.
turbo is on whenewer the engine is running.
if propelers are dented, whistling sound can be heard throughout the revs. so it's not the case with you.

whistling on your car I suspected comes from turbo bearing and bad oil in it. but that's just one of the options.
try to determin if the whistle is related to the engine revs or with speed.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Merlin

Hi
So very hard without being able to hear it. Have you put your head under the bonnet (hood to the US) and see what area it is coming from? Fuel pump fault, back by the tank fits all the syptoms you discribe but that's at the back and you say the noise is from the engine area. So could be water pump, alternator, timing belt idler so hard to say but none of them would give you your faults you discribe. The faults you discribe sound more like fuel starvation issues and would need to diagnose this properly.
do you mean that diesel voyager has electric, low pressure pump by the fuel tank?
usualy LP pumps are of a vane type, incorporated into the HP pump which is driven by the T belt.
this would be one of very few cars with such solution.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM

The pump is external bolted up next to the tank not like the petrols that are in the tank so easy fix.
That's excellent news :-)

I'm going to run it and see how it goes - I've got breakdown recovery so I shouldn't be stranded if it does give up on me.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: I wonder

I have wondered about the turbo - do turbos come in at a particular engine speed? If so, presumably if I carefully increase the engine speed up to this point, I should hear nothing and then the whistle will increase in pitch at a fixed engine speed - is this correct?

The oil was changed recently (about 4,000 miles ago) - the car does have a full service history by the look of the service book.
if propelers are dented, whistling sound can be heard throughout the revs. so it's not the case with you.

whistling on your car I suspected comes from turbo bearing and bad oil in it. but that's just one of the options.
I started it this morning and then gradually brought the engine speed up - at 2000rpm the whistling started, but stopped again almost immediately as I increased the speed further, brought the speed down and then back up gently, and same again. The noise stopped altogether within 30 seconds of driving, so does sound like it could just be the oil not circulating properly at startup. This evening, I started it up and let it idle for 30 seconds or so, and the whistling went away more quickly. I think for the sake of about £40, it's worth having the oil and filter changed with a top quality synthetic oil, if nothing else, it will give me peace of mind about what's in it.

Will let you know how it goes on.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM

do you mean that diesel voyager has electric, low pressure pump by the fuel tank?
usualy LP pumps are of a vane type, incorporated into the HP pump which is driven by the T belt.
this would be one of very few cars with such solution.
Yes the 2.5 CRD has an electriclift pump ( part of the fuel filter housing) the 2.8 don't and have a hand prime pump instead.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 AM

I started it this morning and then gradually brought the engine speed up - at 2000rpm the whistling started, but stopped again almost immediately as I increased the speed further, brought the speed down and then back up gently, and same again. The noise stopped altogether within 30 seconds of driving, so does sound like it could just be the oil not circulating properly at startup. This evening, I started it up and let it idle for 30 seconds or so, and the whistling went away more quickly. I think for the sake of about £40, it's worth having the oil and filter changed with a top quality synthetic oil, if nothing else, it will give me peace of mind about what's in it.

Will let you know how it goes on.
Had an oil change at the weekend - on cold start, the noise is still there, but yesterday, it was bitterly cold and very frosty, so I let the engine idle, with the heater on full to defrost the car - was probably stationery and idling for about 5 minutes, and the noise wasn't there when I set off, so sounds like it's just when the engine is very cold.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 AM

More symptoms on this, and perhaps a little more serious. At the weekend, I was driving (accelerating slightly) along and the power suddenly cut completely, so I coasted to a stop. Tried starting it, and it started without a problem and accelerated away - initially slightly hesitant, but after that, no problem. That hasn't happened again (yet?), but I am still getting the whistling when revving the engine when cold (including when I first start it, in neutral) and initially, the acceleration is very sluggish, but after a few hundred yards, is back to normal for the rest of the journey.

This evening, when I started it, I pressed the throttle whilst in neutral, and there was no initial response at all - engine didn't pick up, but after a few seconds, all was normal again.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking it back to the garage I got it from, but they aren't Chrysler dealers, so don't have the diagostics as far as I know - so any clues I can give them may help.
It cut out again briefly whilst I was driving last night - I was low on fuel (the low fuel light was on), I was driving down hill, and someone cut inacross me to do a left turn so I had to brake fairly sharply and it cut as soon as I had finished braking - could this be a fuel surge in the tank (there was only about a gallon left) - a combination of downhill braking would have sent the fuel to the front of the tank?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Ah, had it cut out two or three times today, and on a full tank of fuel, so not fuel surge. Cut out on fairly rapid acceleration (well as rapid as a Diesel Voyager can be), and above 3000 rpm, but easily below 4000rpm, so nowhere near any limiter. When it cuts out, it has to be switched off and back on to restart - can't be 'bump' started whilst slowing down.

Does the fact that I have to switch off and restart give any clues to anyone? Would there be any codes worth reading (I'd have to take it to a Chrysler dealer to get this done)?

Any help appreciated on this as it's the biggest problem - all others I'm slowly getting sorted out at not too great a cost

Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM

Hi
Could be an idea to get it plugged in and get any fault codes. I would also check the wiring around the bracket on the front of the gearbox, around the security bracket that is over the engine ECU in front of the battery and over the front engine mount for shorting out. All known week spots and could be a wiring fault that is making it cut out.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Hi
Could be an idea to get it plugged in and get any fault codes. I would also check the wiring around the bracket on the front of the gearbox, around the security bracket that is over the engine ECU in front of the battery and over the front engine mount for shorting out. All known week spots and could be a wiring fault that is making it cut out.
Thanks Merlin,

I'll speak to the garage I got it from to see what they can do, but as they aren't Chrysler dealers, they may not have the correct diagnostics, so may end up going to a dealer to get it analysed.

Quick Reply: whistling sound - 2.5 CRD