Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xbox One in a T&C 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Default Xbox One in a T&C 2016?

We're considering a 2016 T&C Limited Platinum. This model includes the dual Blu-ray VES, which has an HDMI input for use with game systems.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of documentation on this feature, but was hoping to be able to plug in and run an Xbox One console (for camping trips, etc.) The manual states, quite vaguely, that the "certain modern consoles" require more power than the inverter is able to supply.

It would seem counterintuitive to offer an HDMI-equipped vehicle feature for the express purpose of plugging in a modern video game console if the vehicle itself potentially cannot supply enough power for the console.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to run an Xbox One in the 2016 T&Cs?

Thanks,
R

Old 02-16-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Sinclair
We're considering a 2016 T&C Limited Platinum. This model includes the dual Blu-ray VES, which has an HDMI input for use with game systems.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of documentation on this feature, but was hoping to be able to plug in and run an Xbox One console (for camping trips, etc.) The manual states, quite vaguely, that the "certain modern consoles" require more power than the inverter is able to supply.

It would seem counterintuitive to offer an HDMI-equipped vehicle feature for the express purpose of plugging in a modern video game console if the vehicle itself potentially cannot supply enough power for the console.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to run an Xbox One in the 2016 T&Cs?

Thanks,
R
From my knowledge Xboxes are a no no for cars. If you speak to your kids they will tell you that when playing a game or dvd if you shake an xbox it can totally ruin the console, something to do with the laser. From my research the best consoles for cars are Playstations and older models at that e.g PS3. Ask around but thats what i found on forums dedicated to gaming

Once i fix my headliner and put in dvd player i will be putting in a PS3 to keep kids entertained on long trips

Old 02-16-2016, 12:59 PM

Well, in terms of the consumption, the Xbox One is around 70-120 watts peak (PS4 can be up to 130/140 watts peak), so that's the headline figure to check for on the inverter. That is an average consumption, so I'd be surprised if any inverter installed wouldn't be able to cope with that.

As darkcild101 says, watch out for the blu-ray drive, it's a slot feed and these are rubbish tbh in devices not intended for items that move, and it's very easy for the disc to wobble and cause damage. Not sure (I'm not a gamer anymore! My last was the xbox and 360 mod's!) but if you can store games to HDD then that's the way to use it.

I think the only way is to try and see how you get on, if it doesn't do the job, replace it as you can get cheap inverters now quite easily.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:04 PM

A good note to remember—thankfully this generation of consoles lets you more or less abandon physical discs if you want to. All of my games have been downloaded to the console, so there would be no spinning discs in the unit to worry about. There are internal hard drives still, but I imagine those are a little more stable than spinning optical discs.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:14 PM

Yep, you're fine with HDD's as those can take a surprisingly large amount of shock (Their limit is a laptop being dropped from a sofa, that high impact shock is sometimes too much for the platters and heads to collide).

Good luck and do post back on your experiences. Heat is the thing to watch with the inverter, if it gets too hot then the console is drawing too much constant current from it.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:56 PM

I thought the 2016's came with a built in LRT inverter @ 150W on 110v ?

Old 02-17-2016, 06:41 AM

Just curious, how about wiring? Whats the best way to connect the inverter? I have seen some that go through cigarrette lighter or is there a more secure way?

This one is 240w

Ring Automotive RINV120 12V Modified Sinewave 240W Inverter | Maplin

Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 AM

The inverters can draw quite a lot of power from the battery, so firstly make sure you have a good battery and charging working OK, long journeys should be OK though since you're putting a lot back in from the charging circuit.

For wiring, in theory the cigarette lighter sockets should do the job, check the fuse and the inverters draw to check compatibility, that one from Maplin annoys me, like most of what Maplin sell, as they no longer know what they're selling (In the olden days their staff and stock were excellent, boxes of resistors, LEDs, etc. Now they're glorified disco salesmen. Anyway, I digress)

From the Maplin page:
The RINV120 inverter connects to the battery through the car accessory socket
Then they say:
Connector: Battery Clips
So which of the two I really cannot tell. I think it's battery clips as thats common for the Ring inverters. So you'd need to wire it in yourself, or fit a cigarette plug onto it.
They also don't say maximum amp draw at full output which does't help. That one is also a modified sine wave, whilst this is cheaper and generally OK (Because the PS3, Xbox, etc, use transformers themselves they cope OK with this).

Also, a handy calculator for working out if your car alternator can cope:
AC Watts divided by 12 x 1.1 = DC Amps

So for the PS3 slim during gaming it's 96 watts, so (96/12)*1.1 = 8.8 DC Amps needed from your car. (The PS3 original non-slim is around 210 watts!)
Bear in mind the total current available on your cigarette lighter fuse, that's it's max available so be careful not to exceed it.

Hope that info helps a little on your decision.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
The inverters can draw quite a lot of power from the battery, so firstly make sure you have a good battery and charging working OK, long journeys should be OK though since you're putting a lot back in from the charging circuit.

For wiring, in theory the cigarette lighter sockets should do the job, check the fuse and the inverters draw to check compatibility, that one from Maplin annoys me, like most of what Maplin sell, as they no longer know what they're selling (In the olden days their staff and stock were excellent, boxes of resistors, LEDs, etc. Now they're glorified disco salesmen. Anyway, I digress)

From the Maplin page:

Then they say:

So which of the two I really cannot tell. I think it's battery clips as thats common for the Ring inverters. So you'd need to wire it in yourself, or fit a cigarette plug onto it.
They also don't say maximum amp draw at full output which does't help. That one is also a modified sine wave, whilst this is cheaper and generally OK (Because the PS3, Xbox, etc, use transformers themselves they cope OK with this).

Also, a handy calculator for working out if your car alternator can cope:
AC Watts divided by 12 x 1.1 = DC Amps

So for the PS3 slim during gaming it's 96 watts, so (96/12)*1.1 = 8.8 DC Amps needed from your car. (The PS3 original non-slim is around 210 watts!)
Bear in mind the total current available on your cigarette lighter fuse, that's it's max available so be careful not to exceed it.

Hope that info helps a little on your decision.

My friend you might as well have written the above in chinese. The only thing i know about is electricity is 240v thats it In a nutshell what is the best inverter for the job, preferrably plug and play

Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM

Apologies! The science bit is there if you need it for reference in the future ;-)

For what you want, PS3-slim edition, then I'd be looking more at the Tripp Lite 375W unit, or actually the Maplin own 300w inverter looks reasonable.
Can't comment directly as don't have one myself, but either of those two should do the job.

Quick Reply: Xbox One in a T&C 2016?