Cirrus water pump and timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Default Cirrus water pump and timing belt question

I took my car to a shop today to have the thermostat replaced (it needed it, and I don't like messing with this stuff). The mechanic said that my water pump was also leaking and it needed to be replaced along with the timing belt.

I don't necessarily disagree with this advice. I haven't noticed any leaks, and the dealership didn't notice any leaks when I took it in for an oil change 2 months ago, but who knows - these things can happen overnight sometimes. But then the mechanic said something that made me suspicious. He said that if I didn't get the water pump replaced really quickly the coolant would leak all over the timing belt and I would end up replacing the entire engine. I know I need to get them replaced if they are bad, but isn't there a weep hole on the water pump that prevents the coolant from leaking on the belt?

This place also quoted me about $850 to get the job done. I called around to one other place (a reputable service shop, that isn't usually the cheapest place in town) and they only quoted me $575. Makes me think I'm getting totally ripped off.

I'd just like your advice on the slimy timing belt thing. Will the coolant really coat the belt and cause it to slip?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Murphy law u replace a timing belt and water pump at the same time and they is done about every 105k As for messing up the engine na not real bend a vale or 2 maybe that's a 50 50 chance of doing that to. The dealer more then likely did not have a real tech do the oil change just a 8$ an hour guy that changes oil all day long so he more then likely would not have even looked at anything like that leaking.

The price is about right the 850 for doing it correctly ask the 850 and the 575 guys what is being replaced and see what they say and also its your money u do as U wish

Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM

I have a 2000 chrysler cirrus and its been leaking anti-freeze......i took it to the garage and they looked over everything head gaskets good but the water pump is leaking thats why im leaking coolant.......so the shop is replacing the water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, they priced it around 745-800