p0340

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Default p0340

I just purchased a 99 chrsler cirrus 2.4, literally has it 2 days...I've had it stall a couple of times and the check engine light come on....than go out on its own..

Today I was working on the limited heat issue by flushing the heater core out...the car turned over but would not fire, after the third time it fired but with cell on..

Read the car and it listed P0340 is this a simple thing of replacing the sensor?

I cleared the codes and drove home, the car seemed to want to die while driving than kept going and cell cam back on....2 hours later cell turned off again... Is this typical failing behaviour?

Also the flush seemed to help the heater core but I don't think it's 100%, does the dash need to come apart for the replacement of the core?

Thanks for your time...

shawn

Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Make sure the harness isn't rubbing anywhere on the head. Yeah, dash has to come out.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Make sure the harness isn't rubbing anywhere on the head. Yeah, dash has to come out.

So you think i might have a short, instead of a sensor fail...

Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by shawn2k2

So you think i might have a short, instead of a sensor fail...
You could. There were some issues with the wiring harness where it would contract/shrink due to age and stretch itself around the corner of the head, driver's side back corner, rubbing through. Also with a car that age, you could have some wire insulation deteriorating. Give it a look and if you don't see anything go ahead and get a sensor. Keep in mind though that cam/crank sensors can fail and ONLY set a DTC for the other sensor.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
You could. There were some issues with the wiring harness where it would contract/shrink due to age and stretch itself around the corner of the head, driver's side back corner, rubbing through. Also with a car that age, you could have some wire insulation deteriorating. Give it a look and if you don't see anything go ahead and get a sensor. Keep in mind though that cam/crank sensors can fail and ONLY set a DTC for the other sensor.
I've read that, it could be either sensor....which sensor is it at the #4 cylinder..camshaft???

where is the other one....

Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

there is only one cam sensor

Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
there is only one cam sensor
so only a cam sensor, no crank as well?

I'm just curious if this is typical behaviour of a failing sensor?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by shawn2k2
I've read that, it could be either sensor....which sensor is it at the #4 cylinder..camshaft???

where is the other one....

Crank is one the back of the block down low on the accessory drive end. Cam is at end of the head. 4 little bolts holding it on.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM

So today, the car has been giving me issues. Stalling and sputtering basically dieseling...I changed the camshaft sensor later to a aftermarket one. Started the car and it was worse than before.....

I'm thinking of putting the old sensor back in and seeing how it runs tomorrow...I did a voltage check at the connector it was 9V....

I'm not able to pull codes as the scantool is elsewhere...

Any suggestions...Could it be the crank? If so why would the car idle worse after a new sensor is put in..

Thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 PM

I have read a couple of times that aftermarket sensors can be worse than the used bad mopar sensor????

Quick Reply: p0340