Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Default Transmission Problems

Hi,
I currently own a 2000 Cirrus and I have been having some trouble with the transmission. For the most part it shifts fine, except when it goes to down shift. Whenever it down shifts, it feels like the transmission is slipping or shuddering. It has been going on for quite some time now and I hate to take it to a garage because tranny work is expensive. I was told that it is a computer problem and that disconnecting the battery would help it, but that didnt do anything. My boss suggested that it might be the vacuum hoses that go into the transmission. Does anyone second that idea? The problem doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse (not that im complaining about the latter of the two). The transmission fluid is full, red, and doesnt smell burnt. Any suggestions.

Thank you

Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Default RE: Transmission Problems

Ihad ahard downshifting issue when coming to a stop. I figured the car would need a tranny. I took it in to a friend of a friend’s tranny shop that I could trust. He hooked up a computer inside the car NEVER even opened the hood drove it for about 1 mile did a reprogram and it worked good as new. And still doesto this day aprox 4 months now.
No charge for the re-program. [/b]That took less than 10 minutes total with me in the car. [/b]The car now had 160K so I put on maybe 6k since the re-program and all is well.

FYI, I have Cirrus 2000 there was a break in the transmissions. Mine happens to be the newer style that is supposedly BETTER/newer.
It’s the same tranny as the mini vans that had issues for several years. However the "PLUS four" fluid CLEARLY MARKED on the dipstick signifies the newer style tranny and I was told by Chrysler folks that is a good thing.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM

My prob may have been worse than yours. I had the same thunking or shuddering when downshifting to 1st, at stop signs and all. I also had big time gear slippage when the car first started up. That would go away when the car was warmer, but the downshifting thing was almost always present. I checked fluid and it was low and still red. I kept filling and it kept leaking. One day it just crapped out and wouldn't go out of 1st, check engine light came on.

It was too cold and snowy here to do any work for myself. I was crying b/c i thought it would mean a whole tranny. It was still a good chunk of change but turns out it was a trans solenoid and a leaking transmission hose. They flushed and filled the trans. I happily paid up! It works great now.

I don't recommend ignoring it much. At least get someone who knows to check it, even if it costs to diagnose. If it's something as simple as a solenoid or hoses. You may be able to do these yourself and save.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM

I understand that on many Chrysler transmissions there is a replaceable solenoid pack, and the pack is prone to leakage.

Your problem could be quite simple and inexpensive (relatively). Do your best to find a reputable local shop to take the first look. Talk to people. Check with the local Better Business Bureau for a large or small volume of complaints. (Especially the "Ripped-Off" kind.)

It's always scary to turn your immediate financial status over to a shop, but unless you have many, many toys, as well as the knowlege of how to use them, it's really the only option.