Exterior Talk about your body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Lipstick.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Default Lipstick.....

I've been meaning to actually do this for a year, and I finally did it. I painted the brake calipers on my Sebring. I'll try to post pix. Not too sure how but we'll give it a try. It's an old car (2001) and the northern winters have taken their toll on the undercarriage. This would have been a lot easier with a new car or new calipers to work with.
I decided to paint the calipers red and the mounting brackets aluminum and then clearcoat over both. The problem arises in preparing the surface for painting. I removed the brake pads and rotors and re-mounted the calipers to have a solid mount to work on. That also keeps the sliding pins covered and sealed against the onslaught of brake cleaner and sand.
After washing them down with brake cleaner, and masking off areas not to be painted, and covering the wheel hubs against the sand, I attacked the rusty old calipers and brackets first with a wire brush cup on my drill motor, then with sandblasting. Sandblasting is a gawd-awful messy job. One more wash with brake cleaner and then spray-painted the aluminum (Rust-Oleum high temperature aluminum.) 3 coats.
Then with a brush, I applied 3 coats of red to the calipers. The top coat was 3 coats of clear gloss caliper paint (spray by VHT). Then I put it back together, trying not to scratch the new paint too much.
This was a two day job, with all the taking apart and putting together. If you had nice new calipers to work with, the job could easily be done in an afternoon as there would not be a need to pull it all apart for the surface prep.
The three pictures show the right front caliper in process. The first one shows the "before" condition. The middle one show the caliper wire brushed and sandblasted, ready to paint. The third is "after". Worth all the work? Not sure. I'll see if anybody notices.

Attached Thumbnails Lipstick.....-p1012302.jpg   Lipstick.....-p1012303.jpg   Lipstick.....-p1012304.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM

looks great you did nice job did mine also but my car never sees the weather your car does

Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 AM

cool, work done, looking good. if you need more part then visit visit theautopartsshop.com, you will find all about auto parts on this web site.

---------
Buy Low Price Chevrolet Beretta Wheel Hub Assembly, Clutch Kit, Brake Rotor, headlights, Brake Caliper, shock Absorber, Door Mirror, Strut Assembly, Alternator, Exhaust Manifold at theautopartsshop.com

Chrysler Cirrus AC Compressor

Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Yeah! It was really a nice work and it was looking ultimate.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:54 AM

Hot!!!Hot!!!Hot!!!looking forward to your future plans for your car

________
Autopartswarehouse Father's Day 2009