General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 sebring convertible- car & radio wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Red face 01 sebring convertible- car & radio wont start

I have a 2001 sebring convertible. The car was running perfect then one day someone tryed to break in and set off the car alarm. Since then the car, the car will not start , you dont even hear it trying to turn over and the radio doesnt turn on either. At first, I thought it was the battery so I went to charge it and found out nothing was wrong with it . Another thing I have tryed is changing the fuses for the starter and the radio. The first time I turned on the car you could hear it trying to click but then nothing. After that time never could hear nothing else. There are no warning lights on in the car. I called chrysler to see if there was a code to enter into the radio to reset the code but the serviceman said that there was no such thing. Im not sure if he was telling me that so I would bring in the car to get it look at or just isnt aware of it. I need help figuring out what is wrong with my car so I can fix it. If you have any suggestions or questions please let me know.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by sebringgirl
I have a 2001 sebring convertible. The car was running perfect then one day someone tryed to break in and set off the car alarm. Since then the car, the car will not start , you dont even hear it trying to turn over and the radio doesnt turn on either. At first, I thought it was the battery so I went to charge it and found out nothing was wrong with it . Another thing I have tryed is changing the fuses for the starter and the radio. The first time I turned on the car you could hear it trying to click but then nothing. After that time never could hear nothing else. There are no warning lights on in the car. I called chrysler to see if there was a code to enter into the radio to reset the code but the serviceman said that there was no such thing. Im not sure if he was telling me that so I would bring in the car to get it look at or just isnt aware of it. I need help figuring out what is wrong with my car so I can fix it. If you have any suggestions or questions please let me know.
Another thing I have tryed doing is using the key in the drive side door to see if that could possible reset the alarm but the car still wouldnt start. I also tryed using the remote to lock then unlock the door to see if it could possible be something with the alarm

Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM

You didn't mention what damage, if any, was done during the attempt to steal the car. Did they break the ignition switch or try to hotwire the car? Did they cut wires leading to the radio?
Have you checked for codes through the OBD II port?

Is anything else not working like the power seat or interior lights?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Default additonal information

There was no damaged done to the car the person who set off the alarm just opened the passenger side door then the alarm went off. Lucky it was parked right outside my window so could see what happened. I still not able to find out what the problem is. There is no lights to indicate that anything is wrong. The car was running perfect til that night. Any suggestion on what I can do to try to fix it or what it is .

Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Default ...

The windows are working as well as the powered seats. The only thing that seems to not be working is the convertible top wont go down, but it usually doesnt work til the car is running so not sure if that is connected to the radio and engine not working.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 AM

If the person just opened the door and set off the alarm, it should not affect the car. There is obviously something else going on here, probably more than one thing.
It is pretty hard, if not impossible to diagnose an ailing machine via long distance as there are a lot of possibilities. What have you done to check the battery? Just because it can light a light it doesn't mean it can crank an engine. There could be corrosion of the electrical connections somewhere given that the car is 9 years old.
Your starter motor could be bad, your ignition key switch could be bad, a computer could be bad. Did you check ALL the fuses under the hood and at the end of the dash inside the car? How about the relays?
Somebody with the requisite knowledge and proper diagnostic equipment is going to have to spend some time going through the car in a systematic fashion to find the problem(s) and fix it (them).
There's no magic wand here.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Default mistakes are the portal of discovery.

I had a same problem with my car.
But it was solved.
You just checked your fuse counductor and and your bettry connection with that may be it works.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 AM

I have the exact same problem wrong with my car, it's a 2001 Sedan LXI. My roomate borrowed my car to go home and when he went out to the car it just wouldn't start. Right away I thought it was the battery, but I tried jumping it and nothing happened. All of my lights work, the power seats, the car dings when I put the keys in, but when I turn the key nothing happens and the radio dosn't work either but everything else works fine....I don't have any idea what to this could be but I really need to get it fixed. I hope someone knows what this is.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Check the starter relay. If that's good, look for corosion in the electrical path from battery to starter. Check the battery for its ability to put out a good starting current. Just because it can light some lights it doesn't mean it can crank the engine.
If all checks out good, you might need a new starter.