General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

08 sebring bottomless pit

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Default 08 sebring bottomless pit

hey everyone so im new here. ive had a lot of luck on other forums for other makes before and im hoping to have the same here. My wife and I bought an 08 sebring 2.7 liter around march of this year (2013) ever since we got it there has been nothing but problems. so to begin. the day we bought the car everything was great. had the carfax printed and everything checked out. car ran good sounded good and looked good. i did a pretty thorough walk thru of the rig. the only thing was it was a tad low on brake fluid. looked for leaks and couldnt find any. the dealership topped it off. about a week later we're driving and hit the brakes to hear a horrible grinding sound. so i went to napa where i work at and bought a set of pads for the front. come to find out the old ones had well over half their life left but i changed them anyways. still has the same problem. i greased and cleaned everything right. my thought is a badly warped rotor. but im still not sure. next off my wife was sitting at a stoplight with her foot on the brake and the car lurched itself forward. or at least tried to. (like i said she had the brake on) odd. stopped in a drive thru in park engine revs way up. awesome. not. i did a little research and saw that there was like a tsb saying that the ecu needed to be flashed. we have still yet to do that. (new baby, moving = broke). next... a week and a half ago i had the codes read. i thought maybe there was some codes not throwing a cel. came up with none. really wasnt that surprised. 3 days later the cel comes on. goes off the next day. now when its cold and we start it, it acts like it doesnt want to fire up. it fires just has some trouble. and noth a low battery or bad starter struggle. let it run for like 2 min and its fine. im usually pretty car savvy but this is the newest car ive ever owned or worked on and im sure theres a million different sensors or electrical issues it could be. so if anyone has any input on any of these topics i would greatly appriciate some insight. thanks everyone.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:33 PM

oh and were is the pcv valve located on the 08 2.7 engine?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, this is a classic situation when you buy a second hand car which is new to you. The previous owner likely got shot of it because not-done maintenance was piling up and there were some "issues". As you are short of the readies, you can always try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. This costs nothing and you can DIY. Sometimes the microprocessors get all screwed up with stored 'glitches', and disconnecting the battery performs a hard reset, getting rid of these gremlins. Have the radio key-code to hand if it's one of that kind that loses it on battery disconnection.
OR, you could go back to the outfit that sold it you and complain. This needs a certain amount of psychology as to get the best out of such people.
So, good luck...

Leedsman.