General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1987 lebaron question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Default 1987 lebaron question

i'm looking at a 1987 2.2 convertible 44k on it. it looks to be in good shape and i know the owner. anyway i see in the car fax that in 98,99,01 some owner had this car in for electrical work but it does not say what kind. the car has a digital dash and i know those were problematic at best. but what i don't know is if there is an analog replacement or if these cars came with the analog dash and how easy it is to exchange it out? outside of a ton of leave and pine needles in the top well and the lower top below the window that is coming loose the car looks to be in real good shape. it is not a turbo and i like that less parts to go bad on this old car. any ideas on the electrical issues this car had? also he said it has a shimmy and that may be tires or susspention work ahead, any ideas here as well? thanks

Old 11-13-2016, 03:19 PM

If problems crop up on the digital dash, try contacting this guy. He'll answer specific questions through his site:

Speedometer Repair | Instrument Cluster Repair | Odometer Repair | Mr. Whizard

As for the shimmy, check all the ball joints and bushings, tie rod ends, tire balance, etc.

I've had some success with Gorilla Glue to glue the glass back to the top fabric but nothing seem to last forever.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:28 PM

thanks i'm trying the gorilla glue now on my corvair top the front bow has separated and i really don't want to install a new top as the top otherwise is in perfect condition. i don't know if the cluster is bad but he never mentioned it. he did say the radio is broke and it had a shimmy so if the dash was broke i'm thinking he would have tole me he had some issues with it. i had an 87 with the digital dash before and when driving the xway when i came to a stop on an exit it show 0 oil pressure i checke with a gage and it never showed 0 oil pressure so i was thinking that dash has some issues and show 0 oil pressure. sometimes that dash also show incorrect rpm's and speed. it was a 2.2 turbo and i finally sold it because it smelled of smoke so bad it choked me. that section of the rear top looks like it will be an easy fix as the area has a hard plastic strip along the top part of that panel. most likely not an issue but for ascetics it looks better to be in repair. with the boot on it it is never seen.

i figured the shimmy could be a suspension issue outside of a tire. if i get it i will rotate the tires to see if the shimmy moves after i determine it is a shimmy or just an out of balanced tire. thanks for the help

Old 11-19-2016, 12:30 PM

ok i just got the 87 lebaron 2.2 auto convertible. outside of a non working radio all seems to be in good shape. will need cleaning and some attention. part under the rear window has fallen down and the radio is not working, one wheel has a slight shimmy and i think it is a bent rim. anyone know what all rims fit the 87 lebaron by any chance? tires seem good but i have not yet dated them. engine has a misfire but not a steady one so plugs may be needed. although the seller said he only put 1000 miles on it in 7 years so gas may be old. i will not dig deep here until i refuel in the spring. i'm going to see how to repair the pc. under the back window and clean up the carpet and the car during the winter months. the dash all works and the cruise and blinker etc. heat mirrors 3 of 4 windows. you can guess what one is not working as they all seem to get that. i have has 32 other lebarons before so most issues are not new.

it may need shocks and struts i will see soon. it is the base model so no power seats but all other stuff is powered.

if anyone has a working radio they can part with drop me a note i would like to stay original. so lets see how this progresses now. bp

Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM

If the car was parked for a long time the tires may have developed flat spots that could account for the shimmy. You can probably see that by getting the wheels off the ground and watching them as they spin. Non-working power window is probably a broken wire in the harness leading to the door. Opening and closing the door flexes the wires a little bit.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
If the car was parked for a long time the tires may have developed flat spots that could account for the shimmy. You can probably see that by getting the wheels off the ground and watching them as they spin. Non-working power window is probably a broken wire in the harness leading to the door. Opening and closing the door flexes the wires a little bit.
thanks. it may be flat spots on the tires but after driving those flat spots tend to go away. the windows are the back ones and it turns out the switches were not making a good connection. after working them for a few minutes they did start to work. but the back windows for the most part tend to be from standing water in the rockers. bp

Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 PM

If the car has been sitting for a very long time, the flat spots become quite persistent. Jack it up and give them a spin. Costs nothing but a little effort and time.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:06 PM

ok some updates to this car from last fall. i replaced the tires and i do not have any vibrations so my guess is one tire have something in it that would get out of balance now and then.

during the winter i changed the belts on the engine and timing belts also.

now the shock and struts. that is about it after a few drives for over a hundred miles it ran out fine. okny thing it the covering at the back glass on the bottom came loose and i'm trying to get that repaired but not much luck with the so called youtube fixes yet.

another issue is the boot it fails to cover the back of the top. i have a 95 that the boot clipped over the chrome trim along the back at the trunk and a 87 pace car that did the same thing but this 87 has that rope that slides into the channel along the back to hold it and that is harder to install than the corvair that has the same thing only behind the seat. with that boot i can just fold it over the seat when the top is up but i can't do that with the 87 because it then is outside the top when the top is up. so i wonder if the 87 cars had 2 types of boots and the one that fits the 95 will work ont he 987? any bode know that for sure? thanks bp.