General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1988 LeBaron Sedan, problem with power mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Default 1988 LeBaron Sedan, problem with power mirrors

Greetings all! I am a new member to the forums, and I come with (quite possibly a pretty dumb) question for you more experienced Chrysler dudes that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I recently purchased an 88 LeBaron for the low low price of $800. The motor seems to be in pretty good condition, and the baby fires right up and runs just fine. There were actually no major problems with it that the previous owner knew of, aside from the fact that the driver's side window didn't work (that's not my question, though. I'll save that one for another thread).

Anyhoo, I went to adjust the side-view mirrors one day, and found that their function was very rough and slow, though they did work. I decided that, instead of trying to find replacement mirrors or actuators and then trying to reinstall them with all the wiring and stuff myself, I would just try to open them up and clean and lubricate the actuators to see if that would help.

My question is, how exactly should I go about cleaning such a part? The wires are still connected, so I can't take it all the way out of the housing to get a real good look at it, and it doesn't look at all how I was picturing it. I'm not even sure if cleaning these will help the problem at all, or if it's something else causing this entirely.

Any advice you guys can give me is tremendously appreciated; I'm not very car-savvy, but I want to learn, so anything you can give me is great. Thanks again, and sorry for the long read!

PS: I've spent the past two and a half hours doing internet searches on how to clean them, where to get replacements, etc. etc., all to no avail. I came here and did a search, also to no avail. Just fyi

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM

i have an 88 lebaron too and the mirrors are slow so i would consider this normal howerver the rough part indicates bad gears and ive never hear of anyone "cleaning"
them id say leave it alone

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply bbeach! Actually I was able to pop the mirror off. I then sprayed the motor with some lubricating oil, and it worked perfectly. I couldn't figure out how to edit or delete my post afterward, but it seems I've solved the problem