General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 T&C no communication between scanner and obd2 port

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Default 1999 T&C no communication between scanner and obd2 port

I have a 1999 chrysler town and country van. Recently swapped a 3.8 for a 3.3. Then had a bad left front wheel speed sensor. Changed that and brought vehicle in to have abs light reset. Found out there is no communication at scanner and obd2 port. Unsure if this problem existed before engine swap or not. I am looking for any ideas on where to start to fix this problem or where to get the wiring schematics to start tracing wires back from the obd2 diagnostic port. Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JLH 1
I have a 1999 chrysler town and country van. Recently swapped a 3.8 for a 3.3. Then had a bad left front wheel speed sensor. Changed that and brought vehicle in to have abs light reset. Found out there is no communication at scanner and obd2 port. Unsure if this problem existed before engine swap or not. I am looking for any ideas on where to start to fix this problem or where to get the wiring schematics to start tracing wires back from the obd2 diagnostic port. Thanks

how did you find the wheel sensor without scanner communications?

have you checked for power at the DLC?

if it was me, I'd start with getting out a factory service manual to see the recommended diagnostic flow chart for 'no communications'

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM

At one time there was communication with the obd2 port before the engine swap that pointed to left front wheel speed sensor. I forgot to mention there is communication with the transmission. What is the best way to check for power at the DLC? ICan I assume there is power at the DLC because of communication with transmission? I am pulling a code for a tcc solenoid and have replaced solenoid bank with no success of curing that problem. Where would I get a factory service manual for this vehicle? That manual is above and beyond a chilton/haynes repair manual, correct?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM

At one time there was communication with the obd2 port before the engine swap that pointed to left front wheel speed sensor. I forgot to mention there is communication with the transmission. What is the best way to check for power at the DLC? ICan I assume there is power at the DLC because of communication with transmission? I am pulling a code for a tcc solenoid and have replaced solenoid bank with no success of curing that problem. Where would I get a factory service manual for this vehicle? That manual is above and beyond a chilton/haynes repair manual, correct?
you can get a factory service manual at MANY locations. have you ever heard of a Chrysler dealership? if you come in and they like you, often you can get to look at a book or even copy the pages. Heck I've walked into many a dealer and they just gave me the old books and said Merry Christmas.
theres' this other new web site I just found that has a lot of factory service manuals for sale on it. I think the site was called ebay or something like that. then there's amazon.com
I like the " i changed the solenoid pack with no success" seems pretty cool to toss parts at a car without diagnosing. just because you get a code doesn't mean you throw a part at it. its a starting point to get you pointed in an approximate direction and not the cure all. Beside the TCC in the solenoid pack is the same solenoid that does L/R. theres a switch valve in the valve body that direct the fluid to either the TCC or L/R clutch. so if you have 1st gear, you'd know the solenoid is working fine.

Going back to no communications. you say you have trans? do you have communications for ABS, Airbag and Body too? if so then CCD bus is working fine. pin 16 on the DLC will have 12v.

BTW what is your reasoning for needing to get into the PCM info? is the van not running? when you swapped engines, did you forget ot connect something? did you pinch a wire that may have blown a fuse? there are TOOOOOOOOOOOO many variable especially after someone monkey'd with the vehicle. I come across this a lot: "ever since I fixed my car, it's broke"

Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Thank you for all the drippingly sarcastic incitefull information in you last post. Maybe I should start over from the beginning so as to not warrant such sarcastic postings from the likes of you. Many months ago I had an ses light on. I had the codes pulled on it and it came up with a PO743 trouble code and the code for the left fron wheel speed sensor. After talking to few people, brought my van into a trans shop and talked with them and them driving the van with there snap on scanner hooked up, was told that the problem was probably the TCC solenoid bank but was not a gaurantee. They went ahead and changed that and said the problem should be fixed. If not to let them know. I drove the van about 25 miles and the light came on again. I called them and they stated to bring it back in. Awhile later, The van started making lower end noise and then spit a bearing and plugged up the oil pick up and that was that. Hence the reason for the engine swap. At that point the trans and speed sensor were the least of my worries. I then got a 2000 3.3 and swapped it with the 3.8 that was in it. Now that we are up to speed with that part of your sarcastic post, here we are. Now that I have the new engine in the van and it is running good (other than I feel it should get a little better mileage that what it does), I start fixing the other problems, starting with the wheel speed sensor. I get the new sensor and replace that and call the guy from the trans. shop and talk to him about the trans and ask if he would clear the ABS light from the dash. I go talk to him and he suggests that maybe the valve body of the trans. should be swapped out. He stated he had a couple of good ones and that it shouldn't cost too awful much. I say okay I will call you to set it up. He then hooks his handy dandy snap on scanner up to my van to clear the ABS light. He states that there is no communication with the engine computer, ABS, or airbags. However there was communication with the transmission computer. He suggested I try checking fuses and for and wires around the back of the harness that may have gotten pinched or broke. I have checked all fuses and have starting combing through the wiring that was moved or disconnected during engine swap. Now Im up to the part where I create an account and post to this website and you helpfully respond to my post. I after reading your original post I started looking on ebay and found some books that caught my eye. One of which was a 1999 service manual supplement for a 1999 town and country limited. Not knowing if this was the right book I am needing to do some more research on that end. I have also called the local chrysler dealership and they told me I should just bring it to them and have them look at it. Now I am rather pissy about that lack of help. Now I log into my account and see that you have posted a second response to my post. Now my spirits are up that maybe I will get a little more valuable information to help with diagnosis and I get your wonderfully sarcastic B.S. with a couple tidbits of useful information. I may be quilty of being nieve of asking about repair manuals and where to get them or that I did not post the whole sceneario clear enough but I am far from dumb, ignorant, or haphazard about throwing parts at my vehicle with no diagnosing. Now, I sincerely hope in all this excess typing maybe you will see the whole scenario. I hope that you are not as rude and sarcastic as you have come off so far and that maybe with some help from either you or another senior member I can ge this problem rectified. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter!!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM

After checking just now, a 1999 chrysler town and country service manual from amazon is currently unavailable. Thanks for the imput!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM

you obviously do not have enough technical skill to even read a repair manual much less fix your vehicle. you don't have the tools, equipment or knowledge. the point is YOU screwed up your van... it is IMPOSSIBLE to even get someone on the right path via the internet when the problem was induced by some slack jaw yahoo hacking around with it. had it been something just happened, it's much easier to diagnose, but God only knows wtf you messed up with this repair. So good luck, you'll need it and while your at it, buy a clue to.

it's also apparent that the dealer didn't want to help you due to your wonderful personality. I walk into any dealer and in a mater of minutes, they are willing to help me. i get free access to their library, I've borrowed special tools.. even the parts people give me core parts that don't need to get sent back. I've aquired a lot of trans cores for parts... some were even rebuildable.

Hey my car's broke since I fixed it. so YOU better fix it for me or I'll cry like a little girl

btw here's some on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item3356b453c1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item334fb13143

and you can use other years to resolve this problem

and if you have enough literary skills, most public libraries have access to programs such as shopkey or mitchell ondemand which you can print off the service proceedures.

but I still doubt it's worth the effort to 'try' and actually help you.

Last edited by 22chrysler; 11-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the second half of the post. I haven't spent alot of time looking for a shop manual since this afternoon. I definately appreciate the ebay links. I just dont understand where get off with the first half of the post. Without even a descent conversation you say awful rude things about someone. Are there any replaceable parts that could cause such a problem? Is there a possibility that I would need a computer for a 3.3 to swap with the one that I have? I have heard that is a possibility also. I have been checking and cant find anything so far that I did to cause the problem. This could be something that happened with no help. Everything ls as it was before the engine swap. That was actually easier than some of the vans that I have done in previous to this one. Thanks- You are the only one that has responded so far. Any help is appreciated believe it or not. Maybe we could get past all the B.S.-Thanks, Jeff

Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM

you have a situation that is IMPOSSIBLE to even guess at a probable solution. when I tried to direct you what needed to be done, you act like a child tantrum because you didn't get your way immediately.

give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime.

I directed you to what you needed, then it's 'where do i get this' at that point you are not displaying any abilities to think for yourself, you want instant gratification for someone to GIVE you the answers. This shows no ability for self-reliance. granted the internet is an awsome resource, however too many people DEMAND someone gives them the answers so they do not have to put forth any effort themselves

Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Default A thought...

Thanks for the second half of the post. I haven't spent alot of time looking for a shop manual since this afternoon. I definately appreciate the ebay links. I just dont understand where get off with the first half of the post. Without even a descent conversation you say awful rude things about someone. Are there any replaceable parts that could cause such a problem? Is there a possibility that I would need a computer for a 3.3 to swap with the one that I have? I have heard that is a possibility also. I have been checking and cant find anything so far that I did to cause the problem. This could be something that happened with no help. Everything ls as it was before the engine swap. That was actually easier than some of the vans that I have done in previous to this one. Thanks- You are the only one that has responded so far. Any help is appreciated believe it or not. Maybe we could get past all the B.S.-Thanks, Jeff
Are you able to read codes by way of the key sequence?