General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.7 is junk!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Default 2.7 is junk!

I had the unfortunate luck to buy a 2000 Concorde with the 2.7Lemon engine. I have read here where people say they researched the 2.7 and didn't find any problems? Man you didn't look very fair. The internet is full of horror stories. This engine is prone to sludge. Why? Because according to experts the oil passages are too small and don't allow proper circulation of oil. This creates heat and the oil literally cooks inside the engine. Sludge forms when the pariffin in the oil seperates and combines with carbon to form chunks. Now add to this the fact that Chyrsler went with a smaller oil capicity {to save consumers money} and you have an engine destined for failure. Chyrsler says its caused by poor maintenance. I say bull!! I have talked with alot of mechanics, some that used to work for Chyrsler and they all say the same. A very poor design. I filed a complaint with the Center for Auto Safety. Yesterday I recieved a letter from the Impartial Services Group wanting to make a settelment with me on behalf of Chyrsler. Whats that tell you? It tells me they know there is a class action coming there way and they are trying to buy people off before that happens.
So if you are looking to buy a car with a 2.7 think about if you can afford to put a new engine in it. Mine one had 73000 miles on it and it blew the rod bearings with no warning.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2.7 is junk!

use correct oil weight 5w 30 and it wont be an issue like the factory says. I have a 98 LH with 156k and no sludge. Dont blame Chrysler for not changing the oil every 3k and going to jiffy lube where they pay some kid 7 bucks an hour and expect to keep your car running.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Chryster tech.... I got a 98 Intrepid with the 2.7L engine. I change the oil every 3000 using 5W-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic OIl and it had a sluged up oil pump at 38,000 miles. The coils have gone bad at 40,000 miles and you're telling me that about 60% of 2.7L owners don't take care of their motors and it just so happens that it is one of the most common failing motors. They're pieces of ****. I dropped a 3.5L in my Intrepid.

Furthermore, I had gotten the extended warrenty and they're telling me that I wasn't using the right part number oil filter for the application. Fram PH16. It also had a cracked main bearing. I don't know about you, but I'm a certified mechanic. The guy was giving me **** on it's my fault and if I was so smart why don't I do it. WARRENTY BUDDY that's what I paid for. I was in "street" clothes and when I confronted him about the scam they're trying to pull to let me buy a crate motor, charge me labor, and pin the screw up on me, he replied, "are you a certified mechanic?" Hahaha little did he know I am one.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

u have a 98 from the factory u used 5 30 mobil 1 and still sluged up?? did u get it used ???
I have a 98 Concorde with 153k no slug in mine never had it rebuilt or anything. yeah i will admit i have seen alot of 2.7s go bad but like nething if not taken care of it will have probs. and coils??? or coil i have had 1 coil go bad same coil as a 3.5 or a 4.7 or a 3.7.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:14 AM

From the factory. I used mobil drive clean 5w-30 for the first 12,000 miles... yes 4 oil changes then mobil 1. Yes all 6 coils have gone bad.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

humm thats a vary vary vary rare that all 6 would go out at the same time. I think some info is missing here that u arnt telling us. I dont see it likely that 6 coils with 6 different drivers from the pcm would go out at the same time unless some sorta stuff was or is being doen to the car get what i mean. ok if u got a CSC chrysler contract then u should have gotten an engine or atleast had chrysler involved and they would have done it for u or helped u out in some way if u have proof of oil changes. The type of filer would only make a difference in the way is starts up with oil in it. A chrysler filers hasa valve that will hold oil in while not flowing and aftermarket ones will leak from time to time. AS far as being a cert mechanic been a chrysler tech for 10 years
got an automotive chrysler degree in 96 i am level 3 of 4 engine 4of 4 electrical 5 of 5 drivablity 4 of 4 ac 3 of 4 suspention and ASE with all of them.
not tooting my horn but i hope this will give me some credit in your eyes.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:46 AM

They did help me out with the warranty. I paid the difference for them to put the 3.5 in and I put the harness and computer in from a wrecked 3.5L. The 2.7L coils went out one by one. Only mod to that car was a K&N air filter.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 PM

i just have to laugh at how you say the 2.7L is a good engine...you must work for them to cover it up like they have for years, my dad worked for dodge for 10 years and walked out over this engine (yes he was the lead tech) there has been over one hundred thousand of these engines blow up from engine failure and dodge blames the oil..or the tech, or the company who changed it, EVEN THERE OWN TECH'S! all because they know they would have to file bankruptcy if they had to to the right thing and replace all these engines, i bought a 1999 dodge intrepid..oil changed ever 2500 miles to be sure, what happend? driving down the Road and NO WARNING the Engine FAILS! HAHA! POS, my Ford Taurus and my Chevy Impala BOTH! have around 182K on them they dont even HICKUP, and i know its not ur fault that dodge lost so many customers but the Engine is junk! for sure look at the proof, and dodge will always cover it up cause they are DIS_Honest *** Holes! and left alot of people with reapir and towing bills! i hope they file bankruptcy! they are Rip Off'S!, ALSO GO LOOK ON EBAY! 20 OUT OF 22 INTREPIDS ON THERE ARE BLOWN UP!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5363/2B02E40901B64D878F8711D6789A0F41.jpg[/IMG]