General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 uk grand voyager - problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Default 2001 uk grand voyager - problems

hi all, new to the forum, and glad there is one because there doesnt seem to be a UK forum.

I own a 2001Y reg Grand Voyager 3.3 petrol with LPG conversion.

few ****les are:

1) both heated seats dont work, when you click the switches on the dash they illuminate orange but nothing happens in the seat area, ie its still cold??

2) the blower will NOT work on face blow (if thats a way to describe it !!??) I can get it to function on every setting bar the one where it blows directly onto you, even turning the dial back and fore does no good ???

3) although when it does blow, its pretty cold, especially when travelling along the motorway, the heat even on the windscreen setting goes luke warm, the only time it ever gets hot is if you've trundled around town for an hr

4) ive recently had a service at 70k at a trusted garage friend of mine, since having it back the car shudders in P, N &D....the shudder goes away when you set off, but the odd time when setting off it seems as if the car very briefly wanted to stall but didnt ???
ive took it back to the garage and they checked and double checked the plugs and leads etc and can find nothing wrong??

they did mention something about the manual saying change the PCV valve, but even the local chrysler dealer doesnt know what this is ??!!!

I appreciate its not a new car, but we have £10k invested in this car which believe me for a working man like me is alot of money, so any help anyone can offer to remedy these annoying faults would be greatly received.

many thanks

Glenn

Old 02-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Default RE: 2001 uk grand voyager - problems

ORIGINAL: veedubmaster

hi all, new to the forum, and glad there is one because there doesnt seem to be a UK forum.

I own a 2001Y reg Grand Voyager 3.3 petrol with LPG conversion.

few ****les are:

1) both heated seats dont work, when you click the switches on the dash they illuminate orange but nothing happens in the seat area, ie its still cold??

2) the blower will NOT work on face blow (if thats a way to describe it !!??) I can get it to function on every setting bar the one where it blows directly onto you, even turning the dial back and fore does no good ???

3) although when it does blow, its pretty cold, especially when travelling along the motorway, the heat even on the windscreen setting goes luke warm, the only time it ever gets hot is if you've trundled around town for an hr

4) ive recently had a service at 70k at a trusted garage friend of mine, since having it back the car shudders in P, N &D....the shudder goes away when you set off, but the odd time when setting off it seems as if the car very briefly wanted to stall but didnt ???
ive took it back to the garage and they checked and double checked the plugs and leads etc and can find nothing wrong??

they did mention something about the manual saying change the PCV valve, but even the local chrysler dealer doesnt know what this is ??!!!

I appreciate its not a new car, but we have £10k invested in this car which believe me for a working man like me is alot of money, so any help anyone can offer to remedy these annoying faults would be greatly received.

many thanks

Glenn
with the heatwer not blowing on ya face have u checked all pipes connected?

blower not getting warm check or replace thermostat

Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

ok seates either a module i doubt both switches are bad humm seat elements both at teh same time back and lower diubt that as well with that in mind u cant diog the prob with out a techs help to look and see the codes.

this is to recal the doors and see if u have just an out of calabration issue

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - A/C COOL DOWN TEST The heater-A/C control module can perform an A/C cool down test, which is a test performed during the manufacturing process to confirm that the air conditioning system is performing satisfactorily. This test can also provide a quick confirmation of air conditioning system performance to the service technician. If the test is completed satisfactorily, no further service is required. If the test is failed, proceed to the A/C Performance Test to confirm the a/c system is operating properly, or use a DRBIII® scan tool to diagnose the A/C system control and distribution systems. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information. MANUAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL The front blower speed and rear blower speed (if equipped with rear HVAC) must be set to High and the evaporator temperature sensor must be greater than 55° F or the test will fail immediately. The test is activated by depressing the A/C and PWR buttons simultaneously and holding them depressed for no less than five seconds. The PWR and A/C LEDs will blink on and off until the test is complete. If the LEDs stop blinking before two minutes, then the cool down test has been completed successfully. If the two minutes expire without the expansion valve temperature reaching 20° F less than the outside air temperature, then the cool down test has been failed and further A/C system diagnosis is required. If the test is failed, the LEDs will continue to blink until the vehicle has been driven for greater than (8 miles). AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL The ambient air temperature in the room where the vehicle will be tested must be a minimum of 21° C (70°F) for this test. The test is activated by depressing the A/C and PWR buttons simultaneously and holding them depressed for no less than four seconds. The snowflake icon and the DELAY text in the ATC display will blink on and off alternately until the test is complete. If the snowflake icon and the DELAY text stop blinking before two minutes, then the cool down test has been completed successfully. If the two minutes expire without the evaporator temperature reaching 20° F less than the evaporator initial temperature, then the cool down test has been failed and further A/C system diagnosis is required. If the test is failed, the snowflake icon and the DELAY text will continue to blink across ignition cycles until the vehicle has been driven for greater than (8 miles).

Check for leaks at teh water pump they leak most of the time coolant level in the radiator.here is a pic of the PCV its on the back valvecover

with the shudder did he put in ATF+4 in??? they will give u an issue like that if he put in wrong fluid.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/7CE9C52ADE2B471A8670353B805A5E78.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2007, 12:13 PM

hi all,

thanks for the replies.

i've had the car back to the garage who serviced it, and they've changed the platinum plugs again in front of me.....ive also put a set of genuine leads on and still the car judders.....

ive checked and they havent touched the tranny fluid.....

but since the 'judder' i can smell an very strong wierd smell from under the car, also the usual "egg" smell of the CAT.

if the cat's failing would it make the car judder so much ???

thanks again for any help/advice

Glenn

Old 02-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

leads???? u mean plug wires??? and did they put on factory plugs or some plugs thay had there that would fit your van???.
When u have the car running and it does the stumblething look at the cat and see if they are red if so the engine is but bruning all of the fuel.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 AM

do a cat test on it, has the garage not got a 4 gas tester?

if not go to an mot place and ask to check your emmission

Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

CBRJAY i dont think thay have emmissions in UK like we have over here in US

Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 PM

every year we have to have are emmission's tested for an mot in the uk. not sure what the readings should be thou

Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 PM

hi guys.

quick update on the car:

seems all my probs were to do with the LPG system i'm running.

took it to Chrysler to get the 'brain' read by the computer which threw up loads of fault codes all tied to the LPG......

a quick trip to the garage that installed it, £80 service of the LPG filters and alls good again !!!!! YIPEE !!!

so a sincere thanks for all your help and advice.......just glad it turned out to be something simple.

thanks again

Glenn

Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 PM

oh, almost forgot to ask......and seen as you've been so helpful

the blower issue, this is an intermitant fault......it can go weeks without blowing on the front face blowers, despite the digi control saying its on face blow.....then suddenly one day you try and yep it blows on face blow.......so im thinking it cant be a loose pipe or it just wouldnt blow at all ???

any ideas?? as previously said, it works on every other setting, ie windscreen, feet etc just not front face blow ???

its really annoying as the car is freezing most of the time, and our £400 peugeot is warmer, which simply isnt right [&o]

again thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction.

Glenn

Quick Reply: 2001 uk grand voyager - problems