General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 3.8 town & country exhaust or gas smeel inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Default 96 3.8 town & country exhaust or gas smeel inside

We just changed the altenator about 2.5 weeks ago, we broke a flex tube (which I modifide a new one) that I thought was for the water to drain from the grill up at the windshied wipers down through the engine apartment to keep it off the belt and altenator ect...or is it the outside air inlet for the heater and AC. Does anybody know what this flex hose is for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM

It's to drain the water from the cowl away from engine compartment. I've seen some people replace these with heater hose. You DO NOT want water running over the belt. That area under the wiper cowl IS the air intake for the A/C on the passeneger side.

If you're getting a gas smell after doing the alternator, check the ends of your fuel rail. You may have bumped it by accident. Call the dealer and make sure that recall 665, 845 and 895 have been done. All fuel related and can cause a smell. It was a new fuel system that year and the first year for the plastic tanks and EVAP system. There were some kinks that had to be worked out.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-05-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TNtech
It's to drain the water from the cowl away from engine compartment. I've seen some people replace these with heater hose. You DO NOT want water running over the belt. That area under the wiper cowl IS the air intake for the A/C on the passeneger side.

If you're getting a gas smell after doing the alternator, check the ends of your fuel rail. You may have bumped it by accident. Call the dealer and make sure that recall 665, 845 and 895 have been done. All fuel related and can cause a smell. It was a new fuel system that year and the first year for the plastic tanks and EVAP system. There were some kinks that had to be worked out.
Thank you and I will check the fuel rail right now. This van has been in the family all it's life. I am getting the manual for it tomorrow from the first owner (my brother inlaw) and he gave this to my daughter as a present. I think it's time to give it a good check over. Some maintenance is well over do I'm sure. My brother inlaw said he never took it in for any recalls so I will check on this ASAP. Thanks for the quick response because the daughter said that her asthma has never this bad.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM

magnaflowpm sent

Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 PM

magnaflowpm sent
Hey Spammy..Get a life.....

With all the whining I do about recall customers, This is My soft spot. Get it in and have it taken care of, for your own safety.

Tn is absolutely correct....There were plenty of bugs that needed to be worked out...and are absolutely not a problem UNTIL THEY GET DISTURBED.....

The other issue which Ive seen....Is when a tech "Sankes" the alternator off of its bracket....the fuel hose, from frame to rail, can get flexed excessivvely and split at the crimps.....

Any Fuel leakage or vapor is a potential fire hazard....have it looked at IMMEDIATELY.....