General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 chrysler cirrus no spark. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Default 96 chrysler cirrus no spark. Now what?

96 chrysler cirrus 2.5 V6, same thing as stratus, So 2 days ago the car ran fine, yestarday -12 here and itwould not start, all it would do is spit and sputter while you crank it over. So i decided to go get some plugs thinking i flooded it. I only changed the front ones for now because you have to take the upper intake off to change the back ones.

So i get back with the new plugs, before doing anything i decided to put a charger on while i did the plugs, i changed the front plugs and cranked it over now i get no spark at all!! No spit and sputter anymore.

Only 2 things i did was change front plugs and hook a battery charger up and now no spark. There is no coil it has a distributor. Everything is plugged in, fuel pump is working fine, Oil level is perfect. What the hell could have happen in just by changing plugs and hooking a battery charger up?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 chrysler cirrus no spark. Now what?

nothing just happened u said it already b4 u went out to get new plugs. sounds like a distributor is bad, it was going bad not totaly bad. How are u checking if there is no spark?
If the distrubuator is bad it will set u back around 900 bucks and what ever labor is charged to install the pain in the butt thing.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 PM

all i did is check the spark on the plugs, also why would it spit and sputter to start before i change plugs?

You do not think hooking up the battery charger could have done anything? Also what wire or wires do i check that go to the distributor to see if there is any power going to it?

A new distributor is $214 shipped to my house and i would do it myself. If i was able tobuild my talon to 400 HP, i should be able to do this lol. I just want to make sure thats the problem 1st before i go blowing money on every damn part that i do not need.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

humm an aftermarket part might just cause more probs than solve but that will be later.
Go to an auto parts store and get a spark tester. It will look like a light that u place inline of the plug and wire when u spin over the engine u will see it light up if there is spark comming from the DIS. Like i said b4 u said it started to spudder Before U changed the plugs aka going bad. Check the spark with that tester and that will eliminate any guess work and what way u need to go for a repair. PS a stumble or spit and spudder will also be caused by low fuel pressure or flow but taking your word from what u said u checked the pump for fuel.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM

i will pick one up tomarrow and try that. Also what about the crank angle sensor? I do not see it going bad like that but its a thought. Also i will check for voltage going to the distributor

Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM

ok just got back with spark tester and tried it, nothing happen, still no spark.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

well then u are down to the DIS and if u had bad crack sensor a code would have poped up saying loss of cam and crank. And that can be checked with a chryser tool that will tell u if its has been outof sync or not.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 AM

ok so a bad crank sensor would have thrown a code without it running? (just cranking it over) I plugged my reader into the car and the only thing that popped up was missfire on cylinder 5.

I will check for power going to the DIS in the morning. What wire to check for power on the DIS connector? If no power to the DIS then something else correct?

You think it is the DIS? The way the symptoms happened on the car?

Only if it was a mitsubishi 4g63 i could dothat in my sleep

Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

here is the pin out for u in the AM check for the 8 volt supply ,ground and the crank sensor signal. U can check the crank by having a test light on that wire and turning the car over it will pulse if u have a good signal from the crank. ANd power and ground u know about. if all good then u got a bad DIS like i said tehy are not fun to install.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

DISTRIBUTOR-C2 (2.5L ENGINE) CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION 1 K4 18BK/LB SENSOR GROUND 2 K7 18OR/WT 8 VOLT SUPPLY 3 K44 18TN/YL CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL 4 - - 5 Z1 16BK GROUND 6 K19 18BK/GY IGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER

Quick Reply: 96 chrysler cirrus no spark. Now what?