General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 concorde 3.5L starting problems???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Default 97 concorde 3.5L starting problems???

Hey im new help me out lol jk

well anyways heres the story:

My girlfriend gave me her 97 concorde due to problems, I though okay it gives me something to do in some down time. well.... about a year ago the water pump locked up and completely destroyed the timing belt.. well she had it towed to my house.. i replaced the water pump and reset the two cams to thier nuetral position marks (haynes manual told me to) i put everything back together crossed my fingers and it started up like nothing had happend... so about 2 months ago the engine started to shake pretty bad while the check engine light goes on and off while it pleases, so she decided to buy a brand new car and give me the concorde... well i arrived at my house Parked the car on a back patio i have and left it alone for about a week. The next week came around i want to start it up to see why the engine was shaking, the car did not start at all. When i turned the key to start it, the engine will rotate but it sounds like its not gettin the right fuel air mixture .. its hard to explain the sound, but its the same sound it made when the timing belt was off, its like its trying to start but it cant. so yesturday i reset the cams back to nuetral (hoping that would fix the problem) and it didn't.. the sparkplugs and the oxygen sensor was just replaced a couple months ago im pretty sure...

can anyone help????

any input would be most greatly appreciated

thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Default RE: 97 concorde 3.5L starting problems???

You need fuel and spark to start any car. Check for both, one will probably be missing. If you don't have fuel, it could be a clogged filter or a bad pump or no electrical feed at the pump. If you don't have spark it could be a lot of things, like a bad sensor or coil or something. Why not hook a scanner to it and see if it's throwing any codes? If so, take it from there.