General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 cirrus no-start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Default 99 cirrus no-start

I posted here about a year ago with the same issue as i'm having now.This time(different car than last time)its a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus 2.5L auto that will start & run for about 2 minutes than die & not restart.If I let it sit for a few hours,it will start again but only run for about 1 min or 2 then die & not restart.No codes stored in computer,no spark & no injector pulse.No rpm reading on dash/tach or on scan tool while cranking engine.Decided to put a crank sensor since this is the exact same problem I had last time with same engine.Of course the old sensor wouldn't come out smoothly so I had to drill or it after breaking end off & finally pushing remaining part into trans housing to remove later(remove starter to retrieve broken piece).Got new sensor installed after 3 hours& forgot that I had the 1/2 drive ratchet on crank bolt & went to start.The dam crank pulley came off as the ratchet spun around then locked onto someplace causing crank bolt to fully come looseGot crank pulley/balancer back on but now have to reinstall both belts which takes about .5 more hours when lying on your backNonetheless got everything back together & the car runs fine & doesn't die anymoreSo to anyone with the 2.5L engine,if the car doesn't start & you have no spark or injector pulse its more than likely the crank sensor.You have a 60% chance its the crank sensor & a 40% chance its the distributor.I'm 2 for 2 on this issue being the crank sensor causing the no start on the 2.5L engine.Take care guys/girls