General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anybody install a K&N Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Default Anybody install a K&N Filter ?

Not the flat panel type, but the round one, that replaces the "whole box".

Something like this...BLUE CHRYSLER SEBRING 2.7L 3.5L V6 AIR INTAKE 2007-2010 | eBay

I am interested in doing this to my 2008 Sebring w/ 2.7 engine.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Or similar to this?

Name:  installed.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  78.1 KB

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Personally, I can't understand why people think that they are getting a "Cold Air Intake" by doing this. On my Sebring, the factory "box" actually draws air from the fenderwell area, that is, from outside the engine compartment. These K&N cans draw air from right behind the radiator. That's not what I would consider "cold air". They might be a little less restrictive, but only at the cost of allowing more dust to get in, since they are not as big as the stock air filter.
If there's some advantage here, I'm not seeing it.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the input. You make some good points,

I wanted to do it, just for the looks.... Looks really sexy.. to me.

Maybe I'll just put in a K&N flat panel filter.

Just was curious whether anybody had done it?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 AM

I totally agree unless you have some sort of snorkle unit into a hood scoop,Front Fender Opening (As NASCAR has) you are actually drawing in much hotter air then a stock intake box, If you want to check for yourself drive your vehicle until up to operating temp and then drive back home or to wherever you work on it and immediately open hood and stck you head in close to where the opening for the aftermarket intake would be and see how long you can remain in that area and notice how much hotter it is then outside of engine compartment.
On the K&N Side of things I just found Spectre Filters at Autozone which I find to be about the same and for quite a bit less. (Spectre @ $19.99 K&N @ $49.99) Of course this is for the Replacement flat filter that fits in my stock Air box. I had to special order it and it should be here at 3PM tuesday so I will have better feedback in to the actual quality of the Spectre filter element.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Thanks... let me know how the Spectre Filter is. Quality wise and how it compares to the K&N. I assume it is "washable" like the K&N?
I also have a Autozone.
So, if you could please give me the part number, I'll think about ordering one.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Bump...Still interested in the Spectre equivalent of the K&N.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Unhappy p1698

I had a accident the other person hit me on the driving side near the front wheel all of the lights on the dash lit up an went off the next day i am driving and the check engine light came on an has been of after i am driving for about 10mins the abs light comes on an will not go off can a accident cause this to happen

Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Its more for the K&N cuz of the brand name but the other ones will work the same and these intakes work better cuz there in direct air the factory ones need the car to move to get air in the box and through the filter aftermarket have it all around thats why the filter is like a cone

Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM

on my sebring i removed the stock air filter and factory air box and installed a spectre air filter with a homemade bracket and i noticed right away a little more gas milage and i little more pick-up-and-go.

Quick Reply: Anybody install a K&N Filter ?