General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Default Battery dying

I took my Chrysler 200 (2001) to a dealership in feb of 2015 after the battery kept dying. I had to buy a new battery. After 3 months the battery died again. Took it back to the dealership and i had a draw that completely ruined the battery. I had to get a second new battery. Now a year later the battery is dying again. Every day I need to get a jump. The dealership that I got the battery at said it is a bad battery. The dealership that I bought the car from is saying that the battery is fine and that they can not find anything wrong with the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be wrong? I have had the alternator checked at 2 different places and it is fine. I don't want my battery to die when I am not near anyone I know.

Any suggestions would be amazing.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 PM

If your car is a 2001, then it's not a 200. Let's assume that was a typo.
First thing to do is look for excessive current draw while the car is parked. There should always be a little draw due to the fact that the clock is running and the remote key antenna is always searching for a signal to unlock the doors. That draw should be on the order of about 50 milliamps, or about 0.050 amperes or less. If it's more than that, you've got a short somewhere and will need to trace it down. Things like collision damage can result in a pinched wire, or aftermarket stereo installations can cause problems. If your car has a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) it could be a source of the problem but they are very expensive to repair. You can pull fuses one at a time to at least home in on the circuit causing the excessive current draw. Then you'll have to check the items on that circuit one by one.
If that's not the problem, then it could be driving habits. If all your driving is very short trips, that could run the battery down.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Having the alternator checked is just the charge system. If the blocking diode in the alternator is open or shorted then that will drain your battery. Disconnect the power lead to the alternator for a night and see what happens. Just remember to protect the wire or connection from shorting on the engine.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Dave a diode is a one way flow for electricity it does not have the ability to use power or direct it any place but where it goes.

The alternators on Chrysler cars use the PCM for pulsing of the power and ground to the alternator not like on most where its built onto the alternator.