General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blower Fan Issue, Moe? Chryslertech?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Default Blower Fan Issue, Moe? Chryslertech?

Hey Moe and Chryslertech.
I have been lurking for a little while and see thatboth of youhave been very helpful to others. I am sure that the ones you have helped are appreciative, but, I have been also. Reading some of the posts and answers have occaisionally helped me in the background as well, and I thank both of you. I am now asking for your opinion and help myself. Here we go.

On my 2000 Durango I have noticed that my blower fan ouput has really gone down over the last year or so. The lowest setting barely blows out and the highest setting is now what used to be what I would describe in the past as medium. All fan speeds work, just the volume of air is reduced. I replaced the blower fan, no change. The air is coming out the correct vents (does not appear to be a diaphragm issue, meaning half defrost/half vent output). By having 4 different fan speeds I know the resistor is functional (have not lost one of the resistor circuits) but I am wondering if the resistor could deteriorate changing the resistance and therefore reducing the fan speed? Have either of you seen that? At $45 for the resistor I am hoping to confirm before replacing instead of just guessing. Second, is it possible that either of youcould postthe group 8 wiring page for the blower motor circuit? I only have a 2001 manual and there were a few changes from 00 to 01 (resistor changed form the cowl to the HVAC box, diaphragms gone to motor driven, resistor wiring slightly changed). My thought is to wire the fan direct to the switch (highest speed)and see of the motor speed increases. If so, then I would think that the resistor is the problem. Hopefully this makes sense (sorry for the length) and would appreciate your and anyone else's input.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
moe
Default RE: Blower Fan Issue, Moe? Chryslertech?

Thanks for the kind words brother!I know that some wiring issues with the wiring at the blower switch burning up.one year they had you running a new set of wires to the blower but i don't remember what year that was.the resistor sounds like a place to start.never seen it before but...heres your wiring.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
moe

Old 12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
moe

Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks, Moe, for your help and Happy New Year.
It was in the single digits this morning but we are supposed to hit 50 in Chicago this weekend (hard to believe, so I will get into it then. Garage is too colddddd right now.