General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Alarm.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Default Car Alarm.

Hi,
I am unsure to which forum this question belongs. I own a 2011 Dodge Avenger. For two months I had minor issues, but recently its alarm goes off randomly and continues until the battery is disconnected. The dealership gave us a courtesy Chrysler PT Cruiser, and it has the same problem. Then we were given a Dodge Calibre, which had the same problem. Finally, we were given a 2012 Chrysler 200, which has the same issue. Moreover, the 2012 Chrysler 200’s trunk opened automatically, and the 2011 Dodge Avenger’s alarm is engaged when in motion and its trunk opened automatically, too. This has occurred outside of the neighbourhood. The Dodge Avnger 2011 has been in the repair shop 5 times but they can find nothing.

What could be causing this?
Thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

humm ok lets see U have an 2011 avenger and the alarm goes off.
The dealer let u have a PT and it to does the same thing?
and then a caliber and then a 200? be far from me to say but the single conclusion I would have to all of this is it has something to do with you yourself not the cars.
For u to have the same prob with 4 different cars that would be a sign from god kinda happening. Maybe u keep the keys in a place where they are at and set off the alarm or u keep them in your pocket or u have some kids that play around the cars something else besides the cars at fault.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
humm ok lets see U have an 2011 avenger and the alarm goes off.
The dealer let u have a PT and it to does the same thing?
and then a caliber and then a 200? be far from me to say but the single conclusion I would have to all of this is it has something to do with you yourself not the cars.
For u to have the same prob with 4 different cars that would be a sign from god kinda happening. Maybe u keep the keys in a place where they are at and set off the alarm or u keep them in your pocket or u have some kids that play around the cars something else besides the cars at fault.
1. The keys are always in a safe place and never touched; moreover, no one is setting off the alarm physically.
2. I have locked the vehicle manually, thereby disarming the alarm system. This has no effect.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM

You are being exposed to some RF interference. It's up to you to figure out where and how. Google Earth yourself and start peering around for ham radio towers and what not. Do you live really close to a road that has a lot of over the road trucks?

Last edited by TNtech; 03-19-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
You are being exposed to some RF interference. It's up to you to figure out where and how. Google Earth yourself and start peering around for ham radio towers and what not. Do you live really close to a road that has a lot of over the road trucks?
Could a cell tower be responsible, even if it's not already activated?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bornin1992
Could a cell tower be responsible, even if it's not already activated?
Hmmm...not sure.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

does it happen every night? if so visit some place else over night then see if it does if not then its something in your area

Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

This reminds me of a tech story.
It was an 04 Chrysler T&C leather the cust would have an issue of his wipers going off like crazy, dash lights turning on and off and radio and inside lights also turning on and off by them self. I messed around with it for a week could not get it to do anything for me. As soon as the cust got it back it would start to do it again the service manager came and got me I sat back in the van with him and the cust right there it would not anything he got in and it started to go off like crazy. I for what ever reason shook the mans hand and he shocked me this was not from cold weather it was 80 something outside. This man had a natural static electricity in him making the BCM go crazy any time he touched the lights or wiper stalk. Hehe u know what fixed him? a can of static cling I sprayed on the seats and handed hi the can.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
This reminds me of a tech story.
It was an 04 Chrysler T&C leather the cust would have an issue of his wipers going off like crazy, dash lights turning on and off and radio and inside lights also turning on and off by them self. I messed around with it for a week could not get it to do anything for me. As soon as the cust got it back it would start to do it again the service manager came and got me I sat back in the van with him and the cust right there it would not anything he got in and it started to go off like crazy. I for what ever reason shook the mans hand and he shocked me this was not from cold weather it was 80 something outside. This man had a natural static electricity in him making the BCM go crazy any time he touched the lights or wiper stalk. Hehe u know what fixed him? a can of static cling I sprayed on the seats and handed hi the can.
Ran into the same thing with a Pacifica. This man wanted Chrysler to buy the car back because it was shocking his wife all the time when she touched the inside door handle. It didn't shock any of us...or him for that matter.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM

I agree with above posts. It must be something interferring with the remote/electrics of the car to make everything go off. And not just your own car, 3 others!!! Has this only happened when the car is parked at home or in other places too?

Quick Reply: Car Alarm.