General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY PCM Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Default DIY PCM Flashing

I am new to the electronic side of Mopar vehicles. I have an 06 PT Cruiser with a bad PCM. I would like to get a bone yard PCM and flash the VIN, mileage and SKIM codes to the replacement PCM. I see there are services that do this but I would rather DIY so I know what I am getting and actually learn something. My question is, what are the software packages and tools for doing this DIY. With GM, Toyota and BMW there is a ton of information available on this topic, as well as hardware. It seems to be rather elusive for Mopar vehicles or I am not looking in the correct place. Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have seen devices like CarDAQ, but I am more used to using a PC and software to interface over the ODBII. What are the backyard mechanics, modders and tuners using these days for this?

Old 10-03-2023, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ngen33r
I am new to the electronic side of Mopar vehicles. I have an 06 PT Cruiser with a bad PCM. I would like to get a bone yard PCM and flash the VIN, mileage and SKIM codes to the replacement PCM. I see there are services that do this but I would rather DIY so I know what I am getting and actually learn something. My question is, what are the software packages and tools for doing this DIY. With GM, Toyota and BMW there is a ton of information available on this topic, as well as hardware. It seems to be rather elusive for Mopar vehicles or I am not looking in the correct place. Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have seen devices like CarDAQ, but I am more used to using a PC and software to interface over the ODBII. What are the backyard mechanics, modders and tuners using these days for this?
IF or When (?) you figure this out let the world know. Mopar has been the tightest and toughest electronics to crack. The proliferation of stuff on the market for other brands make it a reality for DIY turning.
Even the performance tuners have limited capabilities for Mopar PCMs.

Old 10-03-2023, 05:58 PM

the key is the illusive PIN code, predominantly.
For example, I can do everything you ask with my Autel MS906PRO, but I need the PIN code.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Old 10-11-2023, 02:09 AM

Beware of this company. You will buy what you think is the scanner you need only to find it doesn't scan the specific problem you need. You will call their tech support and they will tell you that you needed to buy the scanner with one more letter in the name and that you are out of luck.

snaptube vidmate