General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Joe

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Default Joe

I have a 2002 town and country.3.8ltr 186k. The Speedo and odometer quit and it won't shift out of 2nd. I replaced a speed sensor and it fixed nothing. I'm poor. What
next?

Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 AM

You replaced "a speed sensor". There is an input speed sensor and an output speed sensor in the transmission. Since you probably don't want to spend $100 on diagnostics, the next best approach (not necessarily a good approach) is to throw the cheapest parts first at the problem in the hope that you might stumble on a solution. Make sure your output speed sensor is good. That's the one that provides the information to drive the speedometer and odometer and is also part of the information telling the computer when to shift gears. It'll be the one closest to the "output" side of the transmission. Failing that, the best approach would be to have proper diagnostics run on the car, including with a code scanner that can get transmission codes. That way you won't be wasting money by replacing parts that don't need replacing.
Make sure also to maintain the transmission by changing fluid at the proper intervals using ONLY the recommended fluid. Proper maintenance costs money but can save a great deal more money in the long run.