General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

labor time to replace radiator in minivans

Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by RacerXx
Yea but the Chrysler website is only accessible to Chrysler techs. And the Chrysler website doesnt carry information going back to 1996. What does it stop at 2004? When I worked for a Chrylser shop it was cool because you could access the info from any computer(same as Ford) but you need to have an active username and be at a Chrysler dealer. And Mitchell doesnt carry current model year info, there is a model year lag which requires you to subscribe every year to get that.
why cant you edit your messages here?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mitchell does have currant year yeah U haft to pay for it knowledge is not free
U pay for it or you earn it you take your pick.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM

I was prone to believe you until you misspelled 4 words in the previous post. Now I know for sure Mitchells doesn't offer current model year schematics. Can't figure out why Chrysler Dealer network would let another vendor have access to the propietary repair information. If anyone could get it, then why would I bring the car to a Chrysler dealer?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

lets see it was 1240 am so OMG for misspelling a word or two. How to fix a car is not proprietary the only info that is would be stuff in relations to a security systems and how specific systems works that a normal joe blow would have no idea about and does not have any need to be messing with. Beside we are talking about a radiator in a minivan not rebuilding a trans shoot if it took u so long maybe next time u should hire a Mex on the corner I bet they could do it faster and U can pay them 75 bucks and get the same result u are bitching about having took u all day long.
Why bring it to a dealer well if U dont know that answer I will let a guy as smart as yourself figure that one out on your own. Believe what ever you would like I have a subscription to Mitchell, Chrysler's web site for tech and All Data.

Oh and BTW its proprietary not propietary

Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM

A guy on the corner could only do it faster because he would leave 1/2 of the bolts out and use wood screws to put the rest together. Then he would tell you dont worry about the temperature gauge running into the HOT range after he filled the radiator with water. And then more dont worry tomorrow when you cracked the engine block because the ambient temperature this morning was 35 degrees.

Serious question, why bring a car that IS NOT under warranty to a dealer? It has to be more than 200% markup on parts? Who willingly will pay $110/hour(thats what they charge in NYC) labor rate? And God help you if you have an electrical problem? I understand if you have a SAAB, Volvo or Peugeot but a Wally P.? I dont know. I see the American can-do spirit right there....drove a company into Chapter 11 bankruptcy?

And it doesnt matter how long it takes to do the radiator. I ll still get the job as long as I can beat the dealer price. What would a dealer charge for that? $600?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

"autozone has the aftermarket radiator for $190, so had I done this in my shop(which I will, the 1st time wasnt because it was family it was to learn this car. And subsequent time will be for a fee) I would charge 1.5 for the part, and supplies. So where at like $285 for the radiator, $10 for clamps, $40 for the OIL cooling hoses, $40 for coolant and $325 for labor + tax?

a car is a car all cars needs is spark fuel and air to run what makes them all different is how its done and controlled that's it.
I dont know buddy my math there u are at 700 dealer is a better cost I would say.

the dealer is 110 and hour go to a chain store like tires plus I bet they are more an hour then the dealer.

I am tired of this pissing match that you are trying to make here just chalk it up to I did not know what I was doing and it took me all day and I am mad about it.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM

I didnt consider it a pissing match. Its the internet, not my real life. Bro, take off your helmet, lay down your sword. Take a deep breath. Have an enema. The Mongols arent invading today. Are they making a reality TV show out of your life?

No, franchise operations arent more than the dealer, mostly because they dont do everything. Tires+ only does tires and wheel related items.

Clearly I knew what I was doing because the job was completed AND car hasnt come back with any complaints. All I need to do is do it faster next time, but there is always a learning curve.

But I hear you, Overlord of Chrysler, I kneel before you and your magical certifications

Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

My dealer is 99 an hour I worked for tires plus for a few months last year when Chrysler shut down 700 something dealer across the US the tires plus I was they was 110 an hour and they did everything. Check your facts first walk into any place or look online they do more then u know. A jiffy lube would be a bit more constrictive but they do more then oil changes.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by RacerXx
Can't figure out why Chrysler Dealer network would let another vendor have access to the propietary repair information. If anyone could get it, then why would I bring the car to a Chrysler dealer?
You have to know WHAT to do with that information. It's not the content, it's who is using that content. I fixed countless cars that other shops have taken a $1500 stab WITH access to this info (and got away with it in most cases). Your answer for parts markup.....shops (some) and dealers warranty covers the labor AND the part (at this dealer the tow is covered also). Who is going to cover the labor if you buy it from Autozone and pay Bubba to put it in? You are. Of course, the DYI-er doesn't play into this equation. BTW, we are at 90 an hour. In many cases the rate is knocked down especially on larger jobs. Discounts of 10-20% sometimes more are handed out on a regular basis.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Who is going to cover the labor if you buy it from Autozone and pay Bubba to put it in? You are.
I'm not so sure that's a good argument to the consumer for value; it's basically saying "We have to charge you more so that we can fix it when our repair fails. If we didn't charge you more up front then you'd have to pay later." Either way, the consumer is paying. At least there's a chance that Bubba's repair won't fail, but there's no chance that the dealer's charge will be less.

I'm not saying that dealer mechanics can't do better work than Bubba, what I'm saying is that there may not be much value to the consumer in payng higher prices for a "warranty."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: labor time to replace radiator in minivans