General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My brakes are broke! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Default My brakes are broke! Need help!

Hello everyone. This is a great forum. I'm hoping to get some help fixing the brakes on my wifes car. Here's the issue: '94 Concorde, 3.5L, Traction control, 4 wheel disc brakes. Wife was driving it a few weeks ago and she had to brake very hard on an icy road. Ever since the brakes have been spongey. I saw it needed just a little fluid so I topped it off. Genius that I am I forgot to replace the reservoir cap. She drove it 40 miles before I noticed. Got a new cap yesterday and figured I'de run all new fluid through the system so I had the wife run the pedal while I bled them. I did it the old fashioned way of starting furthest from the master cylinder, etc. It took alot of fluid before it came clean. The fluid was very dark. Pedal resistance continued to improve as I went around until I got to the passenger front. Now there is what feels like normal pedal resistance but the pedal goes all the way to the floor. What did I do wrong? The hoses look fine and I don't see any leaks. Someone told me first off I was bleeding in the wrong order, and secondly I may have pushed a bunch of air or junk into the ABS unit. I'm kinda stumped and don't know where to start. Any advice you can give me would be great. Thank you for your time.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Default RE: My brakes are broke! Need help!

You may need to have a shop put a scan tool on it and put the abs into a bleed mode to pump out the air in the abs. On some vehicles this is the only way to get the air out of the abs system.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Default RE: My brakes are broke! Need help!

Try this suggestions if anything will help..
The brake pedal goes to the floor? Theres a leak somewhere in the system.. check if there is correct fluid level; If the brakes are out of adjustment check the automatic brake adjusters. Spongy or soft Brake pedal? It means there is air in the brake system either as a result of improper bleeding, fluid loss or a very low fluid level. The cure is to bleed the brakes using the sequence recommended for the specific vehicle. Another possible cause is a rubber brake hose that is "ballooning" when the brakes are applied..Break squeal, can be caused by vibrations between the chrysler brake pads and caliper, which can be cured by resurfacing the rotors, applying a nondirectional finish to the rotors after resurfacing, installing new pads and pad shims, or applying brake grease or noise compound to the backs of the pads.