General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Possible fuel problem with voyager 2.5 crd diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Possible fuel problem with voyager 2.5 crd diesel

Hello all,
Sorry that my first post is a request for help but i'm fresh out of ideas and money.
About a week ago we were travelling back from cornwall and my van seemed like it was being held back, let me explain more.
Whilst driving the engine loses power for a brief second and then gets back to normal, this is very noticable because at speed it makes your body move back and forth.
To recreate this fault it is like briefly taking your foot off the accelerator and putting it back on again, or quickly tapping the break pedal whilst accellerating. At a constant speed the revs do not drop although with the window open and going round a roundabout in second gear you can noticably hear the engine change tone as it drop s and then picks back up.
I have put injector cleaner in and changed the fuel filter located by the fuel tank and replaced the air filter which was choked right up. The brakes have also been checked incase it was sticking on somewhere.
Still have the problem, someone has said that this model has a secondary fuel filter which i cannot find.
It starts perfect, it idles with no noticable engine noise change.
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Many thanks Bruce

Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 PM

sounds like a blockage of some sort, merlin is near cornwall devon way, give him a shout.

have you ran any redex or similar through it? you do have a fuel heater also if you know what you're doing with bleeding the fuel lines etc I would suggest doing what I had to do on an old peugeot i had,

i took the lines of that go both to and from the tank and blew them through with compressed air, then proceeded to all the fuel lines leading to and from the filter and to the injector pump, now i'm no expert but I have had to take a few of my diesel fuel systems apart as i make homebrew bio and and wasn't very good at it to begin with lol

also have you maybe got air creeping in the the equasion somewhere?

I had a diaphragm that went in a old ford maverick diesel filter top. that used to idle well but choke when you asked it to do owt!

if none of this makes any sense let me know and i'll explain further, if you don't feel comfortable taking the fuel lines off then please don't, get a mechanic to take a look, just thought you would save £'ss doing it yourself.

hope this helps

Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Sounds like the fuel pressure control solenoid but hard to say without plugging in and it’s a £300+ part. If you are still in my area I can look at it for you and tell you for sure but this sort of fault it will need to be plugged in to see what going on. I take it no warning lights are on?