General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stratus Engine Swap - shuts down after a couple sec.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Stratus Engine Swap - shuts down after a couple sec.

I have a '97 Stratus orig. w/ a 2.4 4 cyl and it went bad. We put a '96 2.5 6 cyl in it. everything seamed to plug in like the original we also put the 6 cyl ecm in it. It will fire up and run perfect for a couple seconds and then shut down. We put a jumper wire on the fuel pump and it still shut down so it must be the inj. pulse or the fire that is shutting it down.
Any ideas what to do next?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stratus Engine Swap - shuts down after a couple sec.

I am not going to touch this one

Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Hey this may sound dumb but try a different key. If that car has a transponder key security system (which my 01 sebring does)and the key lost its programing thats exactly what it will do! worth a try!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 PM

Come on Chrystler Tech, you probably know what the problem is...lol.

Hey MG...thanks for the reply. I will give it a try!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

97 does not have chip keys yeah i know what the prob more then likely is u forgot about wire harness and sensors are different on a 2.4 and 2.5

Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Some ECM's differ from year to year. The ECM may have to be re-programmed to input the Vin number of the vehicle. If the vin number is not recognized, the ECM will shutdown after two seconds. You can check with the dealership in your area about this. Hope this helps, Tommy.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Have you checked with the Dealership in your area for confirmation on your no start problem? If you have not, send me an email address, and I'll send you information on the subject, Tommy.
My email address: Chevy66@hawaii.rr.com

Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Check out this link: http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/ST9303l.pdf This should help you with your problem. Good luck, Tommy.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 PM

This concerns PT Cruiser PCM's! I would think this applies for your vehicle as well. Good luck.

Programming and Relearning

Programming The Powertrain Control Module
Important Note: Before replacing the PCM for a failed driver, control circuit or ground circuit, be sure to check the related component/circuit integrity for failures not detected due to a double fault in the circuit. Most PCM driver/control circuit failures are caused by internal failure to components (i.e. 12-volt pull-ups, drivers and ground sensors). These failures are difficult to detect when a double fault has occurred and only one DTC has set.

NOTE: If the PCM and the SKIM are replaced at the same time, program the VIN into the PCM first. All vehicle keys will then need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKIM.

The SKIS Secret Key is an I.D. code that is unique to each SKIS. This code is programmed and stored in the SKIM, engine controller and transponder chip (ignition key). When replacing the PCM it is necessary to program the secret key into the PCM.

[*]Turn the ignition ON (transmission in park/neutral).[*]Use the DBR III and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM then MISCELLANEOUS.[*]Select PCM REPLACED.[*]Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN. NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter the secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the run position for one hour then enter the correct PIN (Ensure all accessories are turned OFF. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).[*]Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the SKIM will send the secret key to the PCM). Programming The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module NOTE: If the PCM and the SKIM are replaced at the same time, program the VIN into the PCM first. All vehicle keys will then need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKIM.[/ol]
[*]Turn the ignition ON (transmission in park/neutral).[*]Use the DBR III and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM then MISCELLANEOUS.[*]Select SKIM MODULE REPLACEMENT (GASOLINE).[*]Program the vehicle four-digit PIN into the SKIM.[*]Select COUNTRY CODE and enter the correct country. NOTE: Be sure to enter the correct country code. If the incorrect country code is programmed into SKIM, the SKIM must be replaced.[*]Select UPDATE VIN (the SKIM will learn the VIN from the PCM).[*]Press ENTER to transfer the VIN (the PCM will send the VIN to the SKIM).[*]The DBR III will ask if you want to transfer the secret key. Select ENTER to transfer secret key from the PCM. This will ensure the current vehicle ignition keys will still operate the SKIS system. Programming The Ignition Keys To The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module [/ol]
[*]Turn the ignition ON (transmission in park/neutral).[*]Use the DBR III and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM, then MISCELLANEOUS.[*]Select PROGRAM IGNITION KEYS.[*]Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN. NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned to each SKIM AT ONE TIME. Once a key is learned to a SKIM it (the key) cannot be transferred to another vehicle. If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DBR III will display one of the following messages: Programming Not Attempted - The DBR III attempts to read the programmed key status and there are no keys programmed in the SKIM memory. Programming Key Failed - (Possible Used Key From Wrong Vehicle) - SKIM is unable to program key due to one of the following:[/ol]
[ul][*]faulty ignition key transponder[*]ignition key is programmed to another vehicle. [/ul][/ul]
8 Keys Already Learned, Programming Not Done - SKIM transponder ID memory is full.

[*]Obtain ignition keys to be programmed from customer (8 keys maximum)[*]Using the DBR III, erase all ignition keys by selecting MISCELLANEOUS and ERASE ALL CURRENT IGN. KEYS[*]Program all ignition keys. Learned Key In Ignition - Ignition key transponder ID is currently programmed in SKIM memory.[/ol]

Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 AM

Have you fixed your problem yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stratus Engine Swap - shuts down after a couple sec.