Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   took my pt to a shop. problems! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/took-my-pt-shop-problems-10345/)

Captmeach7 11-25-2009 04:08 PM

took my pt to a shop. problems!

The timing belt was broke and they quoted us the best price to replace the belt and water pump, etc. They towed it to the shop and that was over a week ago. Each day they tell us that the engine is still apart and they will have it done tomorrow. The next day they say oh we are testing something. Well today they said that someone broke off the valve cap and that they couldn't find a used one so they "repaired" it and they have to wait for it to finish. (my guess is super glue) They said they started it and it is running but squirting oil everywhere as a result. What is a valve cap and should i just go get my car back. I plan to go up there tomorrow to see how much bs they are giving me.

dcotter0579 11-25-2009 10:39 PM

Valve cover? If they overtorqued it, maybe they cracked it. You need to get your car out of there, get it to a better shop and sue the b*st*ards in small claims court for the damage they caused and the increased costs.

Captmeach7 11-26-2009 01:23 PM

valve cap?

They said Valve cap. Whatever that is. It didn't sound familiar to me so i'm not sure. And they said it was squirting oil everywhere and then they tried to say that it was broken by someone before they got the car. Since it's thanksgiving i can't go there till Friday, but i think they are trying to screw me.

CHRYSLER TECH 11-26-2009 07:21 PM

was the oil coming out b4 the belt was changed?? if not they caused it or they dont know what they are talking about plus I have never heard of a valve cap for oil.

22chrysler 11-27-2009 04:51 AM

you're getting your chain yanked. they are pulling some crap. go in there with a camera, and insist they show you this valve cap and take a picture. post the picture and we'll straighten you out.

Captmeach7 11-27-2009 04:34 PM

what!

So the repair shop is now claiming they had $150 dollars more worth of labor for fixing this "valve cap" and bleeding the ac and they say we broke something loose. the mechanic was slow and didn't seem to grasp anything when i called. I asked what exactly was still wrong with it and he said, it sounds rough when it idles. they told my gf's mother it had cut off several times and it was idling rough, but it drove fine. Upon backing it out of their shop or putting it in reverse it cut off three times. He said we can go ahead and get it because she paid him part of the money but since he raised it she didn't have enough. I contacted my lawyer who won't be in till Monday. In this state we have a repair law which i think will help. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...ticle_15B.html

These guys are dirty. He tried to say it was safe to drive. I told them to leave the car there until monday when i speak with the attorney. If i drive the car away i think it voids their liability.

22chrysler 11-28-2009 09:37 PM

Sure sounds suspect. first if they broke a part during the repair, they cannot charge for that part or repair. 2nd WTH is a 'valve cap'. get your a$$ in there and find out what this is!!!

Captmeach7 12-04-2009 04:01 PM

ok soo...This is a lot.

We had the car towed to the dealership, where they did diagnostics and found that the timing was off. They wrote us a statement and took pictures and gave them to us. They gave us a written estimate, which was only $504 to do the work, but they would wait till we told them to start. They said that by law the original mechanic has a chance to fix it so we went to him to ask what he thought.

We called and told him, but he said he wasn't wrong and that the dealership will tell you anything. We said we would have to take the matter to court if he didn't mean to fix the situation. Either by refunding us, or fixing the car right. He said he would think on it. We told him we would get his answer in the morning as it was going to be friday and the last day of the week to file the suit.

the dealership fixed the timing belt issue and also told us that the transmission is acting funny. It jerks when changing gears (automatic transmission) they aren't going to charge us for looking that over and fixing if necessary. It took them half a day to fix the timing belt. The original mechanic took a week and a half and did it wrong.

We spoke to the original mechanic this morning. He claims it was timed when they were finished and that it wouldn't start if it wasn't. We tried showing him the statement and he didn't seem to care. He was at a computer playing solitaire. We told him that we would be filing in civil court to recover the money. He said go ahead.

My gf's mother (who is nicer than us ) tried to call and reason with him. He said he would have to see a statement. She said that we tried to show him this morning, but he was too busy playing solitaire. She said that we were giving him a good out and he would end up paying much more in court. He said he didn't see anything and he'd have to talk to his attorney first.

We went and filed this morning. We are claiming the original money, court costs, and filing fee. They said we could claim damages, but i don't much know what that would be. Aside from the extra trips to work people have had to use gas on...? And maybe if that transmission issue has anything to do with the original garage. Could driving a car that wasn't timed lead to transmission problems? The original garage said they drove it around, but there was a "trick" to it. you had to hold the gas pedal while the car was idling and the brake. The car runs now and won't cut off, but we are waiting on that transmission inspection.

22chrysler 12-04-2009 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Captmeach7 (Post 33031)
We had the car towed to the dealership, where they did diagnostics and found that the timing was off. They wrote us a statement and took pictures and gave them to us. They gave us a written estimate, which was only $504 to do the work, but they would wait till we told them to start. They said that by law the original mechanic has a chance to fix it so we went to him to ask what he thought.

We called and told him, but he said he wasn't wrong and that the dealership will tell you anything. We said we would have to take the matter to court if he didn't mean to fix the situation. Either by refunding us, or fixing the car right. He said he would think on it. We told him we would get his answer in the morning as it was going to be friday and the last day of the week to file the suit.

the dealership fixed the timing belt issue and also told us that the transmission is acting funny. It jerks when changing gears (automatic transmission) they aren't going to charge us for looking that over and fixing if necessary. It took them half a day to fix the timing belt. The original mechanic took a week and a half and did it wrong.

We spoke to the original mechanic this morning. He claims it was timed when they were finished and that it wouldn't start if it wasn't. We tried showing him the statement and he didn't seem to care. He was at a computer playing solitaire. We told him that we would be filing in civil court to recover the money. He said go ahead.

My gf's mother (who is nicer than us ) tried to call and reason with him. He said he would have to see a statement. She said that we tried to show him this morning, but he was too busy playing solitaire. She said that we were giving him a good out and he would end up paying much more in court. He said he didn't see anything and he'd have to talk to his attorney first.

We went and filed this morning. We are claiming the original money, court costs, and filing fee. They said we could claim damages, but i don't much know what that would be. Aside from the extra trips to work people have had to use gas on...? And maybe if that transmission issue has anything to do with the original garage. Could driving a car that wasn't timed lead to transmission problems? The original garage said they drove it around, but there was a "trick" to it. you had to hold the gas pedal while the car was idling and the brake. The car runs now and won't cut off, but we are waiting on that transmission inspection.

first, we all need to know where to NEVER go ;). 2nd one tooth off on the timing belt, can allow the car to run (poorly). 3rd, these engines are a bit tricky to get the timing dead-on. When I do them I manually turn the engine over several times with a wrench to be 100% sure everything lines up perfect. a couple teeth off, and valves can get bent!., 4th, the engine has NO effect on transmission. it will not cause any problems related to what you are saying the problem is.. So WTF is the 'valve cap'????:confused:

CHRYSLER TECH 12-04-2009 08:45 PM

yeah I wanna know what some jokey mechanic knows more then I do being that I have been working on the PT b4 it even hit the showroom floor.