General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission puking out filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Default Transmission puking out filler neck

Last night I was running my '02 Sebring LXi (3.0 L /Autostick) at an open road track event. They gave us three 10 minute runs. Towards the end of my third run, the TCL (traction control warning) light came on. After I was back in the pits and had shut it off, the transmission started puking out the filler neck. My thought was that the transmission simply over heated since this was the hardest run of the three. I see in the owner's manual that the "N" (neutral) light is supposed to flash when it over heats. I didn't notice it doing this, but that doesn't mean that it didn't.

I am due for a transmission fluid change and will doing that shortly. Will overheating the transmission cause fluid to come out the top? It didn't overflow much since when I checked the level, it was in the full range. Will overheating cause the TCL light to come on? It has never done this before and ran fine today without overflowing.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 05-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Default RE: Transmission puking out filler neck

I'm hoping someone has some ideas on this...

I've since discovered that when it's cold, it will occasionally shift hard while under moderate acceleration. It jerks the whole car. Once everything is warmed up, it runs fine.

I wouldn't think that the tranny would fry that easily...

Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Default RE: Transmission puking out filler neck

lol... I'm on tranny #4 and I have never heard of that... I know you probably don't want me to say it, but you may have put too much fluid in, and running like have been, it probably fried the fluid which would turn around and fry the tranny... overhaul it or buy a new one... or just deal with it... whatever you want... I don't care... The hard shifting is probably nothing to worry about, mine shifts really hard when I race... well it did, and then 3rd gear exploded all inside, and then the new one was the same way... this one doesn't do anything different... They all shift hard.. and yes, they fry very easily, trust me on that one. you could try and replace the clutch on it,.. it's not like the manual clutches but that would make it alot smoother... mine is smooth when I'm not racing though, so I don't know.. they're just like eclipse tranny's... they suck,... outright... I'm surprised yours is still in the car the way you drive it, but hey, what can you do... The puking was probably filling it to the full line when it was supposed to be hot, and it just expanded... no big deal, was it brown when it came out,... or did it smell like the tranny was on fire?