New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

2000 Chrysler Sebring 2.5L MFI Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Default 2000 Chrysler Sebring 2.5L MFI Transmission Problem

Got a 2000 Chrysler Sebring, 2.5L MFI 6cyl, (Auto Tranny, VIN: 3C3EL55H1YT298554) in today.

Only has Reverse and Second Gear.

TMC DTC's: P0700, P0731, P0732, P0733, & P0734

Fluid color/smell is fine.

Fuse and TCM Relay Checked out.

Pulled Solenoid Pack; all Resistance Values are comparable and consistent within varying Temperature Ranges (wife didn't like the idea of it being in the freezer for a little while .

I do not have access to Wiring Diagrams to check continuity and power, but assume all is good as problem developed when car sat up while owner was deployed overseas. Yes, he has a lot of Boom-Box Accessories in the Compartment and Trunk.

Is there anyone who can help with Pin Location Charts; and what are the chances that TC is bad?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Only has Reverse and Second Gear.

TMC DTC's: P0700, P0731, P0732, P0733, & P0734
With all the Mystical magical fixes for trans problems, Finally I come across the Person who should GENUINELY look into Input and Output speed sensors as a Culprit, Instead of a Shotgunned parts "LEts TRY IT"...

700 is Generic PCM code for Trans code stored..... 731 ,732,733 734...are all gear ratio errors for the associated Gear range. The likelyhood of ALL clutches Being wiped at the same time, are slim....Reverse and second...That is "DEFAULT-LIMP HOME" mode, and is completely normal.. When You get the wiring diagrams you will understand...That is The result of ALL solenoids being de-energized, for example, Trans controller failure, That allows you to drive the vehicle under limited use until service can be acquired. In the event of a fault code in TCM...the solenoids are Shut down to prevent Further damage.

But enough of that......Since all four gears show a ratio error, It is quite likely that the actual "RATIO" seen by TCM is Corrupt. That would lead to the comparison of INPUT to OUTPUT speeds, which is accomplished by sensors screwed into the case, and "Magnetic Tone rings" on Input and Output components.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 PM

Here ya go

Double check the colors.......Im not exactly sure if they match, but the pins should....

Also note....Input and output sensors share a Common Ground Line........

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 07-15-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Your explanation was not apparent from quick view, but it certainly does make a lot of sense when explained in layman's terms. Maybe you ought to quit turning wrenches and be an Instructor.

And I appreciate the chart.
I do want to check pins and continuity, because a bad in or output sensor seems no more likely from 'Setting Up' than does a circuit gone bad. You know?

Great information. I'll get through it now without a lot of headaches.

Again, I appreciate it.

Trouble Code: P0731

A/T Additional Gear Ratio Error In First Gear
Possible Causes:
U/D and 2/4 pressures less than 105 psi U/D or L/R clutch volume indexes out of specification
L/R accumulator seals are damaged or L/R switch valve stuck
L/R switch valve stuck in first gear position
Transmission has an internal leak (U/D or other seals leaking)

Trouble Code: P0732

A/T Additional Gear Ratio Error In Second Gear
Possible Causes:
U/D and L/R pressures less than 95 psi at 2000 rpm U/D or 2/4 clutch volume indexes out of specification
L/R accumulator seals are damaged or L/R switch valve stuck
Transmission has an internal leak (U/D or 2/4 seals leaking)

Trouble Code: P0733

A/T Additional Gear Ratio Error In Third Gear
Possible Causes:
O/D and U/D pressures less than 75 psi O/D or U/D clutch volume indexes out of specification
O/D accumulator seals are damaged
Transmission has an internal leak (U/D seals leaking)

Trouble Code: P0734

A/T Additional Gear Ratio Error In Fourth Gear
Possible Causes:
Customer may complain of intermittent 4th gear operation O/D and 2/4 pressures less than 75 psi
O/D or 2/4 clutch volume indexes out of specification
O/D accumulator seals are damaged
Transmission enters "limp in" mode running in 4th gear

Old 07-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Djinn-n-Tonic (What a nic ), is there a simple procedure for checking the IN/OUTPUT Sensors? For Instance, Resistance Values and/or Air Gap?

'Magnetic Tone rings' serve essentially the same function as do Reluctors on Cam Gear (CMP) and Flywheel (CKP), correct?

Again, I appreciate it.

(Toss one for me.)

Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Maybe you ought to quit turning wrenches and be an Instructor.
Thank You.....

All jokes aside, That was the "Master Plan". Back to school I go....

If you Browse the Net, Every one seems to Take Trans issues as either Changing the filter, Or putting sensors in it will fix All evils......Truth is it wont. Now and Then You may stumble into a "Lucky Pile"...but Blindly and without any thought or reasoning, tossing parts at it, will almost ALWAYS, leave you in a Bigger more expensive PILE.

How long had it been sitting????....

Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Truth is it wont. Now and Then You may stumble into a "Lucky Pile"...but Blindly and without any thought or reasoning, tossing parts at it, will almost ALWAYS, leave you in a Bigger more expensive PILE.

How long had it been sitting????....

Yeah, I know. Seen it before. Always thought that was 'tarded. That's why I'm here.

The vehicle had been down for close to a year. Based on 'grey dust' build-up in Solenoid Pack alone, I think you're probably right: Speed Sensors. Perhaps there is not a good signal for that reason.

I'm gonna pull them and clean before moving further. Anything special I need to be looking for in the way of Resistance Values, etc.?