New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

2002 Voyager 3.3L CAM Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Default 2002 Voyager 3.3L CAM Sensor

2002 Chrysler Voyager, 3.3L FLex. After replacing a bunch of things the car still dies after a few seconds. Engine started shaking at first, then accelerated with bad timing and then started stalling and now "kaput". Check Engine light is on. It gave me several codes (P1496, P0105, P0106, P0107, P0205, P0206, P0207). I am now trying to replace CAM sensor but I can't find damn thing. I was told bad CAM won't give you a code. I tried 2002 Repair Manual but I can't recognize the location. I think something is screwy in California so my 2002 is actually 2003 model. According to 2003 book it's under the air-intake manifold on timing chain cover and I think I can see it. I do have to take a lot of crap off to get to it. I am right? Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

your wasting your time with the cam sensor
what is a bunch of need less sensor u have put on? have u even looked to see what those codes are and what they mean?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 PM

Done "CAM Sensor" still doesn't work. It gives me P1496 (Low voltage on 5v) and I think it's the computer. My mechanic told me last time this is "next" to go. Replacing it shouildn't be hard, right? I removed the battery and the "holder" and two top screws holding the computer. The "bottom" one holding the computer is troubling! How to get that one off? DO I have to remove the Head-Light in order to get to it from behind?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by orasac
Done "CAM Sensor" still doesn't work. It gives me P1496 (Low voltage on 5v) and I think it's the computer. My mechanic told me last time this is "next" to go. Replacing it shouildn't be hard, right? I removed the battery and the "holder" and two top screws holding the computer. The "bottom" one holding the computer is troubling! How to get that one off? DO I have to remove the Head-Light in order to get to it from behind?
Update:
Removed head-light and removed the last bolt to get computer out.
They quoted $324 for rebuilt and reprogrammed one. Should I get used computer of some wrecking yard? ANy thoughts?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

its like talking to a brick wall

Old 09-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
its like talking to a brick wall
I know what those codes mean but it's too many all of a sudden. Among other it gave me "problem" with injector #5. I replaced #5 and then I got #4, #5, and #6 problem. After replacing MOP sensor those disappeared but 105, 106 and 107 and 1496 came back. Next time only 106, 107 and 1496 others disappeared. We had strange things happening before, like fuel level sinking down to zero and when we restart the car it went back up to the right level. Also everything started flashing like if the computer was testing itself all the gages and displays one by one.
Also I was told the "5v circuit" in the ECU might been blown or there is a short in the wire harness. Replacing computer is easy but harness is a PitA!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

"or there is a short in the wire harness"
look behind the coil pack there will be a connector look in that area they will more then likely be melted

Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
"or there is a short in the wire harness"
look behind the coil pack there will be a connector look in that area they will more then likely be melted
EXACTLY!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!
It was the main 10 pin ELECTRICAL cable that melted by falling on exhaust manifold. I read more on various discussion forums and found out there is an "EPIDEMIC OF MELTED 10 PIN CABLES (Wire Harness)" out there and I can't believe there was no recall by Chrysler. What a poor design - it looks like something old Eastern-European car manufacturers would do. Numerous people got blown ECU (computer) due to "short" and even lost Catalytic Converter due to fuel flooding.
NOTICE TO EVERY CHRYSLER OWNER WITH 3.3L AND 3.8L V6 ENGINE - CHECK THAT CABLE FIRST IF YOU MAINTAINED YOUR CAR RIGHT AND STILL DEVELOPED STRANGE SYMPTOMS AND EVEN IF IT DOESN'T - IT'S A GREAT PREVENTIVE MEASURE. It's hard to see but it's exactly where this mechanic described (below power steering reservoir). Other than that I think Chrysler engines, from the mechanical stand point, are not bad at all!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM

I've repaired the harness, checked fuel injectors (They are O.K. 12-13 Ohm), put everything back together but I forgot to fill up the "fuel rod" with gasoline. Is there a way to fill it up withoout taking it down or do I have to do that at all?
I think ECU is still good but I think "Catalitic Convertor" (last time BLACK SMOKE, BUCKING, LOW RPM, etc.) is caput, but I might be wrong - I haven't started it yet.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

fuel rod????

Quick Reply: 2002 Voyager 3.3L CAM Sensor