New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

frying computers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Default frying computers

i have a 1998 sebring conv jxi. i just bought the car. when i bought it , it was not running. there is some kind of electrical problem which is causing the computer to no longer turn the car over. when i bought it , it had a remaned computer that was a month old and had blown. to diagnose this problem i put a 1999 computer in it and it turned over but would not stay running. i got a working computer out of the junkyard and put it in the car. when i put it in and tried to start it, it would turn over with the key and start for a second and die . i did this about five times and it stopped working. i believe it fried the computer again. i have traced all wires under hood and have found no chafing or grounded wires. i have a new battery and starter in the car. all electricals inside car are hooked up and working accept door light plunger switches, they are missing. i have not done anything with the fuel system.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: frying computers

do u have a gray key?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 AM

yes i do have the key security keys. if that is the problem then why does it stop turning the car over? thanks scott

Old 08-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

the key is not programed to the car. Once u replaced the PCM the secret key was not transferd to the new PCM and only the dealer can do this or me. It will shut down the car all together after 3 times u try and it did not see the secret key it will shut down the whole system for 1 hour.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 PM

if that is the case then do i have to bring the whole car to the dealership? next question is i have a 1999 sebring convertable if i took the computer and the ignition from that car and put it in the other one would it work ? thanks scott.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:36 PM

also if the computer shuts off after three tries and shuts off for an hour how come it will not turn over again at all ? did i ruin the computer?thanks scott.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

that is the skim system doings its job. To save your self some trouble take the whole car to the dealer have them program the computer to the car and away u go. U cant take just that part out and take it to them the car ,computer,key, and everything needs to be as one. IF u start swaping around computer that have the skim secret key in it that will tell every computer that u plug it into that it has and and that one will not start we well. SO for a service charge u can get it back up and running anything past that point will be on u.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 PM

i appreciate your help and i will call the dealership on monday to see what they get for the job. thanks scott