New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

ground wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Default ground wires

Hi everyone, I am new here and need some help please. I have a 2000 chrysler voyager and I have a ground wire that broke. I know what wire it is and I have a new wire to put on however I need to know where it goes. It was connected to the motor mount. can anyone help me out with this? I have looked for a diagram but have had no luck at all. thank you so much for your help
Rosemary

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM

Is this the Little silver Braided Strap on the passenger side mount????

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the reply,, yes it is that one...

Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM

Right across the to halves of the mount.....It just clips on, and eliminates the "Isolation" of the rubber in the mount.

Truthfully, ....Anywhere that connects the engine to frame is an acceptable replacement point.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 AM

Thank you Djinn-n-tonice for the information. I will pass it on to my son. He is the one fixing it for me. I really appreciate the information. This is the second ground that has broke since november.
do you know why this particular model has a short in the wiring? My dome lights dont work all the time, Sometimes they come on and other times they dont. Thank you

Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM

Hi , I am having trouble finding the ground wire and clips for the van, Do you have any ideas how I can get one???? i would appreciate the help, I went to auto stores, and dodge dealership.. Noone has it..

Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM

A bit of Ingenuity......

And a length of plain 10 or 12 guage stranded electrical wire. Make one up.
It isnt a "CRITICAL" circuit ground, so there is no need to get an exact replacement.
A Ring, or eyelet crimped onto the length of wire, from one of the mounting bolts on the engine side of the mount, The other end to one of the Strut Nuts.

Its Not A "Signature Original Masterpiece" look, but it will function just fine. Your other alternative would be a Junkyard, If you can find one intact. Probably a Buck or two, if they charge you at all.

Since it repetetively breaks, I would look hard at the condition of that motor mount....If it flexes to far, it will tear whatever ground strap you put on it.

As for dome lamps.....Check the switch at the rear edge of the front drivers side door pillar.....They can very easily wear out, corrode, or break, leaving an intermittent dome lamp situation. Check the dash panel for a "DOOR AJAR" lamp with the drivers door open.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM

thank you for the information once agian. The ground wire that broke is the second one that broke not the same one. Sorry for confusing you. We have the wire, but cant seem to find a clip to hold it on mount, it melted the ones we tried.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM

it melted the ones we tried.
Uh-Oh....Thats not good.....

Apparently You are lacking an Engine Ground. and since electricity takes the path of least resistance, its jumping thru that little strap and burning it.

Start at the negative battery cable end.....and follow it all the way down to where it meets the transmission......There is bound to be something loose or broken in that connection.....

It doesnt melt until you attempt to start the engine, Correct????

Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM

correct once he tries to start engine and it starts to turn over it melts the clips

Quick Reply: ground wires