New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Default Help

I have a 2002 t&c van. The front heat does not come on unless u are driving. The rear comes in right away. I need to be able to fix this problem as I need heat in the front even when the car is parked. Can anyone help?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Check the level of coolant. Also, your front heater core might be partially plugged.
Another possibility is that the front blower isn't working.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM

dcotter0579 thank you. the coolant is fine. when i turn the **** to have it go on high i have to turn it a few times to get it to move. How would i test to find out what is wrong.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM

"when I turn the **** to have it go on high"
Which ****? Temperature?, fan speed? Do you have automatic temperature control or manual?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM

The heater control. I believe it's manual.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM

WHICH heater control? Temperature or fan speed?

Maybe you might want to spend some up-close and personal quality time with your owners manual.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

The fan. Sorry I'm a female

Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 PM

We need to be sure about whether yours is automatic temperature control or manual. It makes a difference. The ATC system won't blow until the car warms up enough to actually provide heat. You wouldn't want cold air blowing on you.
Please describe the controls: Is there a **** you can turn that dials up a temperature number? Or is there a **** with red and blue arrows indicating which way to turn for more heat or cooler?
If the **** dials up a temperature number, then it's ATC. Just set it for a comfortable number and leave it there. Punch the "auto" button and let the system do its thing. It will start blowing warm air when the car has warmed up enough to do so. The engine needs to be warmed up before you can get any heat out of it at all. That usually requires at least a half-mile of driving or more.
If yours is a manual control, then there could be something wrong with the fan switch, or there could be a problem with the wiring or there could be a problem with the resistor block or there could be an issue with the body computer. All those things are involved in operating the fan.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 PM

The buttons I push up and down for the temp. There is an auto and high button. There is also a **** to move( like a dial) for the fan

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM

You have automatic temperature control. See above comments relating to operation of the system. The best approach is to dial up a comfortable temperature (around 72 +/-), hit the "auto" button and leave it alone. It will warm up the car as quickly as it can without overshooting. As it warms up the car, the fan speed will automatically decrease. In the summer you might find a couple of degrees cooler will be more comfortable. You should never need to make radical changes in the temperature setting. The system will control the fan speed and will decide whether heat or air conditioning is required. Making big changes in the settings will only confuse the system and cause it to make the car too hot or too cold. Then you'll want to do something like open a window which will only make the situation worse.
You might need to put it on defrost to clear frost from the windshield. When it's clear, hit "auto" again. If you have an owners manual, sit down with it and read up on proper use of the system.
Now, after all this, if you still find that the fan is not operating, you may need to have the fan control module replaced. That's an expensive part, so don't replace it unless you're sure it has gone bad.