New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Spiderman has entered the building!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Default Spiderman has entered the building!

Having the real name of Peter Parker I have predictably been called Spiderman or Spidey for the last 40 years. I rarely find this username available anywhere online so I have grabbed the opportunity here :-)

I have a 1999 3.3ltr Petrol Auto Chrysler Voyager (I think it has another model name in the USA). I love it. I use it as a utilitarian vehicle for moving large amounts of people and/or stuff and, as a canoeist, my kayak on the roof too! My usual vehicle is a Jaguar Sovereign 4.0ltr Auto and I think the reason I enjoy the Voyager so much is because it has many of the same creature comforts (however, the Jaguar is significantly more luxurious of course - like driving around in my living room!)

The gearbox of the Voyager failed so I purchased a used replacement with round pins on the ACU connection (the one with the small bolt holding it in place). I foolishly assumed that the "other" connector block (I think maybe for the speedo and other?) was also round pins - but its not! ARGH! My Voyager is now on a vehicle lift in a workshop as I type this with both the old and replacement gearboxes on the floor. My mechanic is thinking about 2 choices and I ask you wise ones here if either will work or if you have another alternative?

1. Remove the connector block/valve assembly (whatever that is) from inside and replace with my original one so the existing connectors on the wiring harness fit on the same original internal connectors.

2. Get the connector block from the replacement gearbox vehicle wiring harness (that is still available) by cutting it off and cutting off my original connector block. Then putting the replacement connector block on the replacement gearbox (where it used to be fitted on the donor vehicle) and joining the wires to the existing wiring harness.

What do you think?

Can anyone give me wiring info on what this "other" connector is for please? My mechanic tells me it has about 9 connectors so its obviously not just a speedo. he said he thought it might be something to do with the gearbox "range" something-or-other? Any help on this immediate problem would be great! I will report back when all sorted - however it is sorted - so the info may assist others in the future of course :-)

Kind regards,

Spidey :-)

Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 AM

Ah, I should have recognised the fault and userID - but strangely it never clicked.

Nice to see you on here - I think this forum is even more useful than the C1 forum as these vehicles are far more complex (I've just removed the trim from the tailgate and the wiring in that alone is almost like the whole wiring loom for the C1) - certainly saving me lots of time and money

Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM

Ahaaaa! Well don't be surprised to see me here Clive as it was YOU who sent me the link! :-)

Excellent link it is too! I have actually posted the problem in the correct thread/topic here as well and am about to respond there to someone who kindly confirmed the valve bodies are swapable :-)

Online Forums are an absolute Godsend as they typically contain a wealth of knowledge that you simply cannot find anywhere else....and its interative as well! Awesome!

The C1 (incidentally anyone else reading this, Clive and I share both Voyager ownership and also ownership of BMW C1 two wheeled individual commuter vehicles!) is still parked on the drive waiting for a fix on the starter motor. I have been working at home all this year so hardly moved out of the house! I think its the warmest place! lol

OK, so now we found another online place to chat.....cool :-) But we must try to stick to Chrysler stuff here...sooooooooo how is yours? Taking apart the tailgate? Would you like a reversing camera while you are in there? I have a couple here :-) I had a look at fitting one but decided I could not be bothered to mess around with a coathanger to get the wires through! Putting electric windows in the Sera was enough!!!

:-)

Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderman
Ahaaaa! Well don't be surprised to see me here Clive as it was YOU who sent me the link! :-)

Excellent link it is too! I have actually posted the problem in the correct thread/topic here as well and am about to respond there to someone who kindly confirmed the valve bodies are swapable :-)

Online Forums are an absolute Godsend as they typically contain a wealth of knowledge that you simply cannot find anywhere else....and its interative as well! Awesome!

The C1 (incidentally anyone else reading this, Clive and I share both Voyager ownership and also ownership of BMW C1 two wheeled individual commuter vehicles!) is still parked on the drive waiting for a fix on the starter motor. I have been working at home all this year so hardly moved out of the house! I think its the warmest place! lol

OK, so now we found another online place to chat.....cool :-) But we must try to stick to Chrysler stuff here...sooooooooo how is yours? Taking apart the tailgate? Would you like a reversing camera while you are in there? I have a couple here :-) I had a look at fitting one but decided I could not be bothered to mess around with a coathanger to get the wires through! Putting electric windows in the Sera was enough!!!

:-)
Now that the dealer sorted out my cutting out issues (under duress - and incidentally, I spoke to the previous owner of my Voyager, and he wasn't impressed with the after-sales either as his replacement Mitsubishi blew a head gasket not long after he got it, repaired at his own cost) I love this car now - it's a bit big for the country lanes I use on the way to work, but is soooo relaxed on longer journeys.

As for the reversing camera - I was going to fit one, but the problem is that the reversing light is at the side, and the camera fits on the tailgate, which means running wires all over the place and stripping out even more of the interior trim, so I decided against it. You'd think on a vehicle of this size, they'd be fitted as standard at all levels of trim.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM

So if its a bit big for the "country" lanes, are the Americans correct to only call it a Town and Country in the States where the country lanes are equivilent to our major roads maybe? lol I think so! Here in the UK it is branded and referred to only as a Voyager. I think thats appropriate as it is very suitable for voyages - providing you avoid country lanes of course! And for the information of our American readers here, our country lanes are SERIOUSLY narrow and very twisty too! It is not uncommon for both vehicles to put a couple of wheels on the grass verge to get by one another at 2mph or for there to be so little width that one vehicle has to back up to a wider point in the road!! I suppose you would call it "quaint".....we call it bloody annoying! lol.

Spidey

Oh, by the way, my transmission query is now resolved here with much gratitude :-)

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...ed=1#post25325