New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Tire Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Default Tire Sealant

Recently had to fix a flat using the the sealant, since my 2015 T&C has no spare(thanks Chrysler and auto industry!). Had my mechanic check the tire next day and he said it should be replaced, since it could have a detrimental affect on the tire and wheel long term. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2019, 04:58 AM

Most mechanics do not want to work on tires that have had Fix-a-flat used in them as they are a mess. Furthermore, the chemical compound used is corrosive and can cause damage to the wheel over time (which is why he said it could have detrimental affect in the long run). So I would highly recommend getting the tire removed, the wheel cleaned real good and replace the tire. Then I would recommend getting a spare for future use. Even if a vehicle did not come stock with a spare, I wouldn't run without one. I'd find some place for it to store.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Are you sure it has no spare?
There are 2 locations where a spare can potentially be found.
First is the obvious place under the back of the vehicle.
Second is under the middle of the vehicle on the passenger side in the area of the sliding door.
The second location is used with vehicles that have the stow and go feature.

I ask because many people think they don't have one because they are unaware of the second location.

I used to manage a garage and do road service until not long ago, and the only vehicles sold without spares had run flat tires.
On every other vehicle, a spare was found or at least where the spare used to be.
With run flats, the manufacturers don't even give you a place to store a spare because run flats are their own spare.

I know that a few vehicles stupidly have no spare from the factory, but check the second location to be sure. (I never ran into one of those vehicles on the job.)

Last edited by BiliTheAxe; 04-22-2019 at 02:17 PM.