02 Intrepid 3.5L smoke from under hood! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Default 02 Intrepid 3.5L smoke from under hood! HELP!!!

'02 Intrepid 3.5L engine:
Okay, so about a month ago I bought a car safety and etested. Then 2 or so weeks later, I discovered that there was a minor power steering fluid leak. I'd have to add maybe 300mL every 2 weeks. Suddenly one night this week, it decided to become a MAJOR leak, I added 2.5L (had to make several stops along the way) to get it to be able to make it to work. As I parked it at my work, and calling a tow truck, I noticed a fine stream of whitish smoke coming from under the hood. I couldnt exactly pinpoint where it was coming from, but it was only when the engine got hot (obvious, I know). I figured it was because some of the fluid splashed on a hot engine part.

I just picked up my car today after getting the power steering pressure hose and return hoses repaired. YAY no more leak!! Oh but wait a second, my car still has a fine stream of smoke coming from the same general spot. Same smell, same colour, everything! Its been over 48 hours since the fluid could have splashed on the engine parts, and the parts were repaired. I personally dont see any major wet spots in the area of the smoke, but after the car is off, you can hear (what sounds like) hot metal crackling while the smoke is still rising.. I'm not sure if the metal crackling is the normal sound from the hot engine cooling down, or if its something more serious.

The engine has never smoked before, the check engine light has been on for a while now. Got a test, and its just the O2 sensor, and a misfire in the 5th cylinder (likely spark plugs).

Any help on what this smoke could be and how to stop it would be appreciated!! And to get the hoses and lines replaced, The licenced mechanic had to take off the bumper, the antifreeze reservoir (lost some fluid, but we topped it back up) and some things behind the engine block. The coolant temperature has not rose any higher than it has in the past, even after this repair...

HELP! Thanks in advance!

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

if u can not find where smoke is coming from take it to some one sorry there is simply no way any one online can tell u what is smoking or leaking from the internet.