Back again! Code 0420...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Default Back again! Code 0420...

Hi everybody,

So I'm back again and I really need some advice on this matter. I traded in my 00 Concorde 2 weeks ago for a beautiful 03 300M with 94k. I really love this car and it runs beautifully, but a problem started 3 days ago with CEL code 0420. Took the car back to dealer who in turn sent me to his personal mechanic who specializes in mufflers and catalytic converters. He ran a diagnostic on car which said that driver side converter was bad and needs replacing. The mechanic thought that was odd, given the mileage on the car. He remembered that there was a recall related to the converters so he looked it up on the internet. He put the VIN # in, and sure enough, there was an outstanding recall on my car. After checking the converters he realized that the one on the passenger side had been replaced already. He reset the CEL and sent me to the Chrysler dealership. I have no idea why the previous owner never took the car in for the recall. I know that the recall had something to do with the PCM and a software upgrade to prevent possible damage to the catalytic converters. So I took my car in to Chrysler the next day for the recall work to be done. I questioned them about the CEL code and if it had anything to do with the recall work not being performed earlier. I MEAN IT IS ODD THAT BOTH CONVERTERS WOULD GO OUT WITH ONLY 94K on the car. They told me they would check the car out for me, but if converter failure isn't related to the recall that I would have to pay $95! What are the odds that they will fess up and admit that is related to the recall?? How would you handle the situation if you were me? Thanks in advance for helping out!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

your mechanic cant read

The catalytic converters on about 77,700 of the above vehicles may become
damaged from continued operation in “limp-in” mode following a camshaft
position sensor fault. that code is P0340 not 420

and secondly he is also stupid for erasing the codes now all data is lost that would help correct the issue