Really need some help!! cranking no start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Default Really need some help!! cranking no start.

Well, on the coldest night my car just died while leaving someplace, in their parking lot. I did what i could but it was freezing and dark. I got it into a shop and i've been diagnosing. Here's where I'm at.

Seems like ASD circuit is okay, I used a scan to test that as well as the fuel pump through the ASD and it all appears good. Cam and crank sensor are both okay, both have square waves, both have 8 volts, wires good going to the PCM. ButI still have no injector pulse, and no spark. There is a 20 amp fuse that says inj. coil. There is no power going to that fuse.

WHY?! Is this somehow a security issue out of nowhere?

Please help.
thanks

ha, oh yeah. 2001 chrylser LHS 3.5L

Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Really need some help!! cranking no start.

fuse 8 20 amp is for coils and injectors no power to that fuse it comes from the ASD relay

Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Update:

I retested everything. The entire ASD circuit is good. PCM is seeing cam and crank sensor signal. Put the coils on a scope, coils are staying high, not dropping down. To me, it sounds like it has to be an ignition module, or in chrysler's case, a PCM. Whatcha think?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

lab scope wont do ya crap on this kinda car it only works on cars that have a distrubitor or a coil pack U have a coil for each plug.
U need a noid light ot test light.
Unplug on of the coils turn key on asd will turn on for 2 to 3 seconds there will be a power and a ground side to the coil, power will be there when ASD is turned on the ground side comes from the PCM.
Noid light easy to test just plug it into teh connector to teh coil no noid lite test light to - batt post have some one turn key one see if u get teh power good?
Second one test light on + side pf battery do same thing but crank teh car if the light flashes as it is being turned over U can take out most or more then half of the car not being the prob.
Get back to me with what U find.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM

well, the ASD does energize for a second or two when the key is turned to acc. and there is quick 12 volts when that happens (tested with a meter). I DID put a noid light on the injector harness, and it did NOT blink.

Oh, we grounded out a plug in the coil to verify we dont have spark, and we do not. We also teste primary resistance in the coils and they're in spec.

I'm thinking about this more. I checked compression, and compression is good, is there anyway it jumped time with great compression on a whole bank? NOt to mention, wouldn't that throw a crank/cam code since they'd be out of synch?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

fallow the instructions I posted b4 and get back to me dont ground out anything dont hook a noid light to the injectors U said u have no spark one thing at a time u hvae power on the coil side hook the noid light up to the coil connector and try and start the car what do u have???

Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM

put a noid light on the coil harness, It stays lit, does not blink.

Oh, And I put a test light on the injector harness again, It does the exact same thing as the coil.

With the scan tool (a Genysis) While cranking it says "no" to cam sensorand crank sensor.

cam sensor and crank sensor were tested at the pcm, again, and are putting out good square waves of 5 volts.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

replace the cam and crank for the fun of it.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:16 PM

I did replace the crank sensor. Do you think there's no way its the pcm?

Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

9 times out of 10 its not a pcm. U did not say u replaced u said u checked it only what does it sounds like when u spin it over/ real fast or normal speed?

Quick Reply: Really need some help!! cranking no start.