Wheels and Tires Talk about rims and tires

TPMS rebuild necessary when replacing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Question TPMS rebuild necessary when replacing tires?

What do you guys think? Discount Tire wants to charge an extra 10.00 a tire to rebuild my TPMS sensors (replace gaskets?) as part of buying 4 new tires from them. They make it sound almost mandatory. My 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan has 33,000 miles on it, my first new tire purchase. The rep at Discount Tire was saying that when the tire is removed, something about the sensor has to stay with the tire so it doesn't get damaged, and that when removing and putting the sensor back the rubber seal can get a crack in it (since rubber dries and cracks over time, heat, etc), and that can lead to a leak in the valve. This is what I remember, details may be a little sketchy as I was having trouble paying attention as my eyes were glazing over with anxt at having to pay yet another 10.00 per tire (40.00 total) on top of everything else for buying new tires.
I'm all about safety, but is this really necessary, especially on a two year old vehicle at 33,000 miles? I ordered the tires, but have not had them installed yet? Would you guys do it?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

HEHE that's a new one to me the sensor are mounted to the rim not the tire they have no contact with the rubber what so ever and they dont need to be removed to replace the tire either.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by danacat
What do you guys think? Discount Tire wants to charge an extra 10.00 a tire to rebuild my TPMS sensors (replace gaskets?) as part of buying 4 new tires from them. They make it sound almost mandatory. My 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan has 33,000 miles on it, my first new tire purchase. The rep at Discount Tire was saying that when the tire is removed, something about the sensor has to stay with the tire so it doesn't get damaged, and that when removing and putting the sensor back the rubber seal can get a crack in it (since rubber dries and cracks over time, heat, etc), and that can lead to a leak in the valve. This is what I remember, details may be a little sketchy as I was having trouble paying attention as my eyes were glazing over with anxt at having to pay yet another 10.00 per tire (40.00 total) on top of everything else for buying new tires.
I'm all about safety, but is this really necessary, especially on a two year old vehicle at 33,000 miles? I ordered the tires, but have not had them installed yet? Would you guys do it?
I'd cancel that order as quickly as possible and go somewhere else! You're the one in charge here, not the seller. If it were someone who actually knew what he was talking about..., say..., a trusted dealer or mechanic, I might follow his advice but this guy's main goal is to separate you from as much of your money as he can! At 33,000 miles, those monitors should be in good shape as long as they were working when you took it in there.

I'd bet than when he starts to take them apart to replace that gasket or whatever it is..., he's going to find that you need all new sensors...., and he's going to watch your face when he mentions $75-$100 for each sensor to see if he's pushed you too far. Another deceptive trick to put more pressure on you is that he'll tell you that he'll put the tires on without the new gaskets or whatever..., but that they won't honor the warranty on the tires.